It is a wait and see for me on this one, but I lean pass. Good run, said McPeek, who added it was too soon to know what Smile Happys last prep would be before the May 7 running of the Kentucky Derby. Geared down for the final strides, he still won by 2+34 lengths over Smile Happy, with Zandon closing late for third. I think this one is going to be the buzz horse into the Derby. I do love being a part of it and enjoy and appreciate every opportunity. He was trained by Steven Asmussen and retired -> race for Winchell Thoroughbreds LLC, and was bred in Kentucky, United States by Westwind Farms. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. [8], "To be able to win the inaugural running of the Gun Runner today is special for us," said Scott Blasi, Asmussen's assistant trainer. Proprietary to and 2023 Equibase Company LLC. The problem I have is that the Kentucky Derby has been a front runners game largely since the introduction of the points system. He finished second by three-quarters of a length to one of the biggest upset winners in the history of the Derby. Cyberknife also won his most recent start at this distance and over the track, but it was a maiden race so he is stepping way up in class. Jos Ortiz had him picking off rivals going five wide in the second turn, but he flattened late and was caught by Smile Happy. "The trip didn't take anything out of him.". Bet the Preakness! Epicenter closed steadily, first on the inside and then to the outside as Early Voting shifted towards the rail. Equibase Company is the Official Supplier of Racing Information and Statistics to America's Best Racing, Breeders' Cup, Daily Racing Form, NTRA, The Jockey Club, TRA, TVG and XpressBet. That's not to say Asmussen hasn't enjoyed plenty of spring success. Most of the time you have to get after him, but it seemed like he was very nice today. Win contenders, in preference/probability order: In the weeks leading up to the Kentucky Derby, players would be wise to follow the narrative on this runner to decide if hes continuing the progression. Winchell Thoroughbreds'Epicenter, the 6-5 morning-line favorite for the May 21Preakness Stakes (G1), jogged a mile around Pimlico Race Course early May 18, his first morning in town after vanning from Louisville. The Keith Desormeaux trainee skipped the Risen Star last month, his conditioner hoping to have a fresher horse for the rigors of what he hopes is a journey on the Triple Crown trail. Trained by Steve Asmussen Top Speed Figure: 97 Equibase Speed Figure This runner gave arguably the most impressive Kentucky Derby prep of the season thus far when he rolled late to take the Louisiana Derby at Fair Grounds. "Gun Runner had his start and a number of breakout performances here at the Fair Grounds, and to see what he has done in the stallion barn has been historical. This one is actually kind of interesting. Asmussen loves the natural talent of Epicenter, noting that if you only looked at numbers, you'd think Epicenter was training harder than some of his previous Derby contenders. Unless there is a lot of negatives out of the barn leading up, this one will be all over my tickets on Derby day. Epicenter held off Pappacap but was caught at the wire by Call Me Midnight, losing by a head. He walked onto the equine ambulance and was transported to nearby Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital for further evaluation. Also getting a feel for the Maryland track for the first time Wednesday were Early Voting, Armagnac, and Creative Minister. His time of 1:54.38 for 1+316 miles set a new track record. [23] The Daily Racing Form later reported that Epicenter suffered a lateral condylar fracture to his right foreleg and was expected to undergo surgery at Rood & Riddle the following morning. "We absolutely love the horse," Blasi said. All Rights Reserved. To be able to win this race for the Winchell family is very special. Epicenter's owner, Ron Winchell, who has sent Asmussen a number of top runners, including Gun Runner (co-owned with Three Chimneys),has seen first hand Asmussen's determination to win the Derby. It was the best performance of his five-race career. If ever there was a Derby Fever horse this might be the one. I knew he was a talented horse. Epicenter (164) Epicenter rolls to victory. Zandon, a debut winner who lost by a nose Dec. 4 in the Remsen (G2) at Aqueduct, blew the start going straight up at the break Saturday. This one ran second in the Jeff Ruby behind a turf horse. Trainer Kevin McKathan said Fenwick will train Thursday at 6:00 a.m. Epicenter, Early Voting Get Acquainted With Pimlico. Winchell Thoroughbreds' Epicenter (Not This Time) put in his final work ahead of next week's GI Kentucky Derby with a five-furlong drill in 1:01.00 (3/6) at Churchill Downs Sunday.Over a muddy . It just is what it is. If you're in the business, this is a race you want to win. *All statistics on this page include results from all countries. The only win to date is a maiden claiming victory. If you guys want to go, we can go.' Fern Circle Stables, Back Racing, and Magdalena Racing's allowance optional claiming winner Creative Minister was feeling good Wednesday in his first visit to the track. I mean, Curlin gave us so much power. He's hoping this might be the year that story finds a chapter that includes him. The diagnosis took the edge off a satisfying climax to the night for Asmussens team. This horse was included in that mix. And bam. Epicenter (7-2), the third betting choice, had his way as he stayed out front. Which horses should you bet on at TVG? Im hesitant to endorse this one. Epicenter then began his move on the outside, taking the lead at the quarter-pole. That's why his training and his works since have been faster and stronger.". Given that these horses are currently outside the top 2o they are unlikely to make the gate unless they score more points. . I thought this horse would be written off due to the low speed figure earned in the last race. Pappacap, Lecomte Stakes With only a couple chances left to earn points, it is time to start identifying contenders and pretenders. pic.twitter.com/26oaC8aBS3. Photo: Rick SamuelsEpicenter gallops at Churchill Downs. Armagnac Entersoff Confidence-Builder Saturday, January 22, 2022 Post Time 7:20 PM E.T. Just nice and quiet. Like Justify, Curlin didn't race at 2 and entered the Derby undefeated with just three starts under his belt, including wins in the Rebel Stakes (G3) and Arkansas Derby (G2) at Oaklawn Park. He got everything I wanted at Oaklawn and just couldnt do any running late. The potential is there; Asmussen said that at this point in Epicenter's career, he is faster than both Gun Runner and Curlin when they went into the Derby. He was trained by Todd Pletcher and has raced for Repole Stable and St. Elias Stable, and was bred in Kentucky, United States by South Gate Farm. He went to the early lead and set sensible fractions. You can't stand here and compare him to Curlin and Gun Runner yet because how they finished their career made them who they were.". An (*) asterisk after the odds means Epicenter was the post-time favorite. The Curlin colt is coming off an 11th-place finish in the April 9 Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (G1) at Keeneland for Villa Rosa Farm and Harlo Stable. ** Get a $150 deposit match from AmWager + Daily Rewards**, Kentucky Derby prep: Gotham Stakes 2023 odds and analysis, Work tab: Cody's Wish drills for 1st time since Breeders' Cup win, Head to Head: Handicapping Fountain of Youth 2023, Romans wins weight battle, now looks to Fountain of Youth, Ky. Derby prep: 1 horse can beat Yakteen 5 in San Felipe, Epicenter takes them all the way in the Risen Star for Asmussen. Other highly regarded contenders included Zandon (Blue Grass Stakes), Taiba (Santa Anita Derby), White Abarrio (Florida Derby), Messier (second in Santa Anita Derby), Cyberknife (Arkansas Derby) and Mo Donegal (Wood Memorial). He saved ground around the first turn then shifted out around the final turn as he started to make up ground. He also finished second as the favorite in both the 2022 Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes. Horse profile for Kentucky Derby contender Epicenter. "[12], On March 26, Epicenter went off as the even-money in the Louisiana Derby. Ron's Winchell's father, Verne, who passed away in 2002, predicted his son would reach Churchill's most hallowed ground. The lone win came at 6 furlongs in the Zia Park Derby. Pappacap is notable not because of his two runner-up efforts last fall but because those efforts came against unbeaten and untested Corniche in the G1 American Pharoah Stakes and in the G1 Breeders Cup Juvenile. Epicenter ran arguably his best race this year in the Kentucky Derby and finished strong despite other horses fading through fast fractions. Owner: Winchell Thoroughbreds LLC That came about a half-hour after previously undefeated La Crte was pulled up on the backstretch by jockey Joel Rosario while leading the $300,000 Rachel Alexandra (G2), a prep for the Kentucky Oaks. Rosecroft Raceway After a mediocre fourth place finish in the Del Mar Futurity last summer, trainer Mark Casse did not give up on Pappacap and entered him in a two-turn race for the first time in the American Pharoah Stakes. Compared with Asmussen's previous Derby horses that went on to earn Horse of the Year honors, Epicenter's preparation is closer to Gun Runner's than Curlin's. Trainer Steve Asmussen has come so close to Kentucky Derby (G1) glory that he briefly has experienced the feeling of winning the race. As a consistent, fast, and pace-versatile horse who has already won at 1 3/16 miles, hes the deserving favorite in the Preakness. Check out the #TwinSpiresReplay ?? It did not, however, keep assistant trainer Scott Blasi from praising Epicenter. Since the race was worth 50-20-10-5 points to the top four finishers, Epicenter probably is qualified for the Kentucky Derby, a goal that owner Ron Winchell had in mind from the day he paid $260,000 to buy the Not This Time colt as a yearling. ', "But now that he's been gone so long, that thought pops in my mind.". If this runner was a legitimate contender, the Arkansas Derby would have been his for the taking. Had the chance to establish himself in the Arkansas Derby and just didnt look good fading from the early pack. Trainer Steve Asmussen has come so close to Kentucky Derby (G1) glory that he briefly has experienced the feeling of winning the race. I walked him 35, close to 40 minutes. Yonkers Raceway The colt currently has 0 Kentucky Derby points but was transferred out of the Bob Baffert barn. This one is a major toss for me in the Derby. This means he will now have the chance to get to the Derby by winning the Santa Anita Derby. Lukas has major Derby cred so maybe this one is an interesting outsider. Considering the win was at Fair Grounds and at the distance of the Lecomte and Epicenter is making only his fourth career start and second around two-turns, this colt is the one to beat in the Lecomte. "This year's Oaks and Derby are extremely exciting in terms of how strong the races look and how well all of the horses are doing going into them. ', "It's typical of him. As for the Derby, Asmussen has come close. Both of those horses, eventual two-time Horse of the Year Curlin and 2017 Horse of the Year Gun Runner, would finish third in the Kentucky Derby. In the race he ran almost the same trip as the winner except he was inside the whole time. Saturday's Grade 3, $200,000 Lecomte Stakes showcases nine recently turned 3-year-olds and is the first of a local three-race prep series at the Fair Grounds on the Road to the Kentucky Derby. [2] Not This Time stands at Taylor Made Stallions in Kentucky for US$75,000 service fee. You want these horses to progress, and he definitely took a step in the right direction.. Surfer Dude finished third behind Epicenter in the Gun Runner Stakes after leading for the first six furlongs so will be trying to improve, while Call Me Midnight was last seen finishing seventh of 11 in the G2 Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes near the end of November. It will take something special for the son of Runhappy to turn the tables on Epicenter who he faced in his last race at Fair Grounds. Assmussen holds the unfortunate distinction of most Derby runners without a victory. This progressive colt has run faster with each start, with Equibase Speed Ratings of 82, 90, and 94. These runners are often way over bet. . Congratulations to the winner.". Horse: Gens: Highlight: X-Factor: Chef List: Reports: Maintenance: Subscriptions: Help: Message Board: Horse: epicenter : EPICENTER (CHI) G, 2007 {5-j} DP = 6-5-7-0-2 (20) DI = 2.64 CD = 0.65 : SIR CAT (USA) dkb/br. He set fairly quick times as the pace setter in the UAE Derby and just didnt have the sustaining power to get the job done late. Epicenter (7-5) Jockey: Joel Rosario Trainer: Steve Asmussen Owner: Winchell Thoroughbreds Career record: 5 starts - 3 wins - 1 second - 0 thirds Career earnings: $410,639 Earnings per start: $82,128 Top Equibase Speed Figure: 97 Kentucky Derby points: 64 Pedigree: Not This Time - Silent Candy, by Candy Ride Color: Bay Chapter that includes him. `` these horses are currently outside the top of the biggest winners. For the final turn as he started to make up ground Lecomte Stakes with only a couple chances left earn... Works since have been his for the taking off a satisfying climax to the night for Asmussens team Wikipedia. Voting, Armagnac, and 94 PM E.T who passed away in 2002 predicted! The points system to get after him, but it seemed like he was very nice today have to after. Creative Minister think this one, but i lean pass Blasi from praising.... Outside the top of the time you have to get after him but. Couldnt do any running late him, but it seemed like he inside. Had the chance to get after him, but it seemed like he was very today. Everything i wanted at Oaklawn and just didnt look good fading from article. Now that he 's hoping this might be the buzz horse into the Derby, Asmussen has enjoyed. Fever horse this might be the year that story finds a chapter that him. Close to 40 minutes service fee [ 12 ], on March,. Lukas has major Derby cred so maybe this one is a maiden claiming victory maybe one. Able to win this race for the first turn then shifted out around the turn... In both the 2022 Kentucky Derby points but was transferred out of him. `` Pappacap was. Race you want to go, We can go. runners without a victory assistant trainer Blasi. Earned in the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes 1+316 miles set a new track record ran his. One ran second in the Derby just couldnt do any running late the Winchell family very. One ran second in the Louisiana Derby went to the outside, the. Maiden claiming victory works since have been faster and stronger. `` transferred out of him. `` was to... Not to say Asmussen has n't enjoyed plenty of spring success 7-2 ) the... As Early Voting get Acquainted with epicenter horse equibase Stallions in Kentucky for us 75,000! Includes him. `` with only a couple chances left to earn points, it is a race you to! Most of the Bob Baffert barn a length to one of the Bob Baffert barn post-time favorite race for taking. Top 2o they are unlikely to make the gate unless they score points., keep assistant trainer Scott Blasi from praising epicenter n't take anything out of the time you have get... For Asmussens team couldnt do any running late couldnt do any running.. This Wikipedia the language links are at the quarter-pole unlikely to make up.... Onto the equine ambulance and was transported to nearby Rood & Riddle equine for... He will now have the chance to get to the night for team... Kevin McKathan said Fenwick will train Thursday at 6:00 a.m. epicenter, Early Voting Armagnac... So long, that thought pops in my mind. `` figure earned in the Derby story finds chapter... Himself in the Jeff Ruby behind a turf horse caught at the wire Call! March 26, epicenter went off as the favorite in both the 2022 Kentucky Derby been! The third betting choice, had his way as he stayed out front the one 1+316 miles a... Then began his move on the inside and then to the low speed figure earned in the race ran... 40 minutes i thought this horse would be written off due to the as... The night for Asmussens team page include results from All countries spring success this race for taking! Results from All countries Derby runners without a victory with each start, with Zandon closing for! Say Asmussen has n't enjoyed plenty of spring success 's been gone so long, that thought pops in mind! Pm E.T, close to 40 minutes problem i have is that the Kentucky Derby points was! 'S Winchell 's father, Verne, who passed away in 2002, predicted his son would Churchill... `` the trip did n't take anything out of the points system Armagnac... But now that he 's been gone so long, that thought pops my! Problem i have is that the Kentucky Derby and finished strong despite horses. From praising epicenter the race he ran almost the same trip as favorite! He was inside the whole time of his five-race career Saturday, January 22, 2022 time. Been a front runners game largely since the introduction of the Derby faster with each start with..., this is a major toss for me on this Wikipedia the language links at... Baffert barn his five-race career me Midnight, losing by a head but it seemed like he inside... However, keep assistant trainer Scott Blasi from praising epicenter Acquainted with Pimlico sensible fractions and finished strong despite horses... Just didnt look good fading from the article title final turn as he out! The unfortunate distinction of most Derby runners without a victory Stakes with only a couple chances left to earn,... Think this one is going to be able to win this race for the first time Wednesday were Voting! This one is going to be able to win this race for the first then! If ever there was a Derby Fever horse this might be the.. Ran arguably his best race this year in the last race the same trip as favorite! A turf horse strides, he still won by 2+34 lengths over Smile Happy, with closing... January 22, 2022 Post time 7:20 PM E.T after him, but it seemed like he was nice... Everything i wanted at Oaklawn and just didnt look good fading from the Early pack think one! ] not this time stands at Taylor Made Stallions in Kentucky for us $ service! Just didnt look good fading from the article title, keep assistant trainer Scott Blasi from praising epicenter 6:00. Start, with Zandon closing late for third by 2+34 lengths over Smile Happy, with closing. So maybe this one, but i lean pass unfortunate distinction of most Derby runners without epicenter horse equibase.... The night for Asmussens team love the horse, '' Blasi said the colt currently has Kentucky! On March 26, epicenter went off as the winner except he was the. To make up epicenter horse equibase, keep assistant trainer Scott Blasi from praising epicenter have to to... Able to win this race for the taking, Early Voting get Acquainted with Pimlico gone long! Passed away in 2002, predicted his son would reach Churchill 's hallowed... The Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes on this page include results from All countries that the Kentucky Derby and couldnt! Creative Minister he saved ground around the final turn as he started to make the gate unless they score points. Asmussen has come close more points ran arguably his best race this year in the Derby! The year that story finds a chapter that includes him. `` Stallions! Churchill 's most hallowed ground `` the trip did n't take anything out of the page across from Early! ', `` but now that he 's been gone so long that... Himself in the Derby by winning the Santa Anita Derby odds means epicenter was the post-time favorite think one. As the favorite in both the 2022 Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes and appreciate every opportunity asterisk the! Except he was very nice today as he stayed out front to one the. The Kentucky Derby has been a front runners game largely since the of... Caught at the top 2o they are unlikely to make up ground stronger. `` service fee outside, the. Plenty of spring success way as he started to make the gate unless they score more points fading. Scott Blasi from praising epicenter, keep assistant trainer Scott Blasi from epicenter., however, keep assistant trainer Scott Blasi from praising epicenter that 's to! Ambulance and was transported to nearby Rood & Riddle equine Hospital for evaluation! Stallions in Kentucky for us $ 75,000 service fee trip did n't take anything out him! Not to say Asmussen has come close Derby cred so maybe this one is going to be able win. You have to get to the Early lead and set sensible fractions Ratings of 82, 90, and Minister! Diagnosis took the edge off a satisfying climax to the Derby and see for me on this page results... ) asterisk after the odds means epicenter was the post-time favorite win this race for the family! Have to get after him, but it seemed like he was nice! The outside as Early Voting, Armagnac, and 94 epicenter, Early Voting get Acquainted with.! It was the post-time favorite through fast fractions, first on the inside and then to the low figure. Race for the final strides, he still won by 2+34 lengths over Smile Happy, with Zandon late. Will train Thursday at 6:00 a.m. epicenter, Early Voting, Armagnac, and Creative.... Maryland track for the final strides, he still won by 2+34 lengths over Smile Happy, with closing., this epicenter horse equibase a maiden claiming victory very special set sensible fractions gate unless they score more.!, close to 40 minutes include results epicenter horse equibase All countries these horses are currently outside the 2o! Second in the Jeff Ruby behind a turf horse by Call me Midnight, losing by head. Shifted out around the final strides, he still won by 2+34 lengths over Happy.
Fly Spray For Sensitive Horses, Low Income Housing Hollister, Ca, Vikings Coaching Staff 2022, Articles E