- Leaks in fuel tank or fuel injector. 2009 - 2014 F150 - Burning rubber smell in front of truck - My XLT has been doing this for a while and stuff seems inconclusive. "CarComplaints.com" , "Autobeef", "What's Wrong With YOUR Car?" The brakes may not even function optimally in your Explorer until the protective coating has fully burned off. if it's a standard.lol. The issues that I seemed to repeatedly come across was the smell after driving (not overpowering, but definitely there), which would also be blown into the cabin on a hot start say after stopping to fill up with a tank of gas. Ive got a 2018 SD with about 9k miles and Ive periodically noticed a strong smell of burnt rubber when Im getting out of the truck. If this is the case, the smell should dissipate soon (roll the windows down while you drive to get rid of it faster!). The following errors occurred with your submission, The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab, Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150, Conventional (Bumper Pull) Towing; Travel Trailers & Pop-ups, Toy Hauler Towing; Fifth Wheel & Bumper Pull, Flatbed, Car, Boat, Utility, Horse & Misc. by Midnight Rider Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:16 pm, Post It should also be accompanied by blue smoke, and the oil level should also go down. If you started noticing burning rubber smell after installing new brake pads or rotors on your Ford Explorer, then there may be nothing to worry about. Inspect the undercarriage of your vehicle for any sign of garbage, including the muffler, the exhaust pipe and the catalytic converter. If the burning smell in Explorer resemble exhaust fumes, it could be due to a leaking exhaust manifold. Check around in the fuse boxes both inside and outside your car to see if you can feel any extra rubber smell from anywhere near them. You should also check around the exhaust pipe system for any signs of external objects. 15. Your IP: Hey, i traded in my Ranger for a 21 Explorer with the 2.3 l 10 spd, i get the same issue once in a while It is also possible that oil is leaking onto the engine and burning off. In rare cases, you may also see smoke rising from the engine compartment. Learn how to identify and troubleshoot your car's smelly hints that something's wrong. A slipping serpentine belt is the most common cause of a burning rubber smell coming from your Ford Explorer. MIne has done this a few times. Truck doesn't really do much of anything odd.. No debris or bits in the wheel. Since the oil change (service department with recommended oil) at the end of August - I've consistently smelled a burnt rubber/plastic smell after driving the car. But sometimes, the issue is as simple as replacing transmission fluid (old fluid can produce that same rotten egg smell in cars). You may see soot above the exhaust pipe or fender, depending on where the exhaust exits on your Explorer. Be careful not to splash too much water, as it can damage the rotor. Who knows. If one wheel hub is way hotter than the other, it could be due to a defective wheel bearing. The temp gauge should be spiked. Typically, the smell is caused by some type of fluid (oil, trans fluid, etc) hitting the exhaust or other hot parts of the engine or something rubbing where it shouldnt be. Using the brakes to slow the vehicle on a long downhill slope can cause brake overheating, can reduce brake performance, and could result in a loss of braking. If you find oil leaking from the valve cover, youll either need to replace the valve cover gasket or re-torque the bolts. It stinks bad enough I open the windows on warmer days to air out. Modular V10 (6.8l) - Burning Rubber Smell - Hey guys. Cookie Policy - Look under your Explorers hood with the engine off (avoid the electric fan even with the key off). It can also be caused by a slipping serpentine belt, sticking brake calipers, slipping clutch, or any external objects stuck in the engine bay. The rotor is grooved on the backside which is sad with only the 16000 ish miles this truck as on it. Maybe it stinks when the temp comes up lol. When this happens, these parts can move around and come into contact with hot engine partshence the burning rubber smell. Any ideas? Its either slipping, or something is rubbing against it. Thoughts? In rare cases, if the blower motor heats up too much, it can even melt the housing and produce burning plastic odor. Also check oil filter, front crankshaft and oil pan for any leaks. Loose belts and hoses don't get better with time. The complaints are organized into groups with data published by vehicle, vehicle component, and specific problem. If the oil is making it to the ground, some of it may be burning on the exhaust. So you must always be on a lookout for rodent infestation. A rotten egg smell in your car often indicates a malfunctioning part in the fuel system. This problem may be covered under warranty. Keep in mind that a slipping belt is not always defective, it can slip due to a number of reasons, including due to a bad tensioner pulley or any other pulley. The only thing I can thing I did recently was have the car washed. Yeah, the clutch seems fine. Normal for a diesel about every 500 miles or so. 0:05. So if your Explorer is burning oil, you should be able to smell it the most from the tailpipe. Get some odorless water-based disinfectant and spray inside the ducts from any angle you can get to. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME: The truck burns fuel to make the DPF filter super hot to clean it. Make sure your Explorer is cold before touching anything. Littleton, With todays tight engine compartments, rubber hoses have an exact place they need to be. Does it have an overabundance of smoke? Please register or login to enable Dark Mode. Truck brakes 100% normal now and it should as I serviced that sticky set of pads. The signs of overheating include the terrible smell, and if it gets bad enough, white smokewill pour out from under the hood. If there is burning smell, it indicates a problem with blower motor or resistor. I'm not sure how to diagnose this or what to do. Covering the Explorer, ST, Ecoboost, Lincoln Aviator, Sport Trac, . Also please check out the statistics and reliability analysis of Ford Explorer based on all problems reported for the Explorer. If you continue to use this site, you consent to this use of cookies. Please register or login to enable Dark Mode. A tire rubbing against the wheel well or the suspension of Ford Explorer will cause burning rubber smell. Right now I am stopped in a city with my trailer and currently broken FX4 on it and there is no smell using the brakes normally. The burnt smell coming from your Explorers engine, plus a high reading from the thermostat, is enough evidence to investigate the cooling system. Burning smell in Ford Edge can be caused by an engine oil leak, coolant or other fluid leak, bad blower motor or resistor, slipping serpentine belt, burning electrical components, sticking brakes, overheating AC compressor, bad alternator, bad wheel bearing, tire rubbing, or some kind of garbage like a plastic bag stuck on the exhaust pipe. Totally normal. Posted by Elma Abdulhadi on Dec 02, 2014 1 Answer jalal Expert 178 Answers There is a TSB,GO TO DEALER THEY WILL FIX IT. I drove around town yesterday and when I got out of the truck to go into the grocery store I could smell burning rubber from the front of the truck. Not really sure what is causing it but I'm really getting tired of it. Leaking coolant can also lead to a strange smell coming from your engine compartment. Another prevalent reason for a burning smell is burning oil. If you have a for-profit service, contact us. Usually, the AC wont work. Advertising - The most common reason why your car smells like burning rubber is an oil leak or coolant leak. The sweet smell is coming from the ethylene glycol, a toxic chemical. But it may be lower if the alternator is not charging properly or if the battery health is low. In rare cases, burning smell can be caused by an overheating wire of blower motor that is drawing too much current, and its fuse is not tripping due to improper amp rating or low quality. 2020+ Explorer; 2011 to 2019 Explorer; Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator; 1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series; . Hold your nose close to the fuse box and give a good whiff. Exhaust gases that leak from the exhaust manifold of Ford Explorer have a very high concentration of carbon monoxide (CO), as they have not yet been filtered by the catalytic converter. Burning Rubber Smell Ive got a 2018 SD with about 9k miles and Ive periodically noticed a strong smell of burnt rubber when Im getting out of the truck. Figured it was "break in "smell, but has gone on too long now. JavaScript is disabled. by FordCustomerService Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:31 am, Post If you do not have the instrument, you can splash some water onto the rotors. We might not be able to revive that new car scent, but we can give you a free inspection and repair quotenow that smells like victory! Truck didn't smell on its couple hundred mile journey beyond this morning. by FordCustomerService Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:17 pm, Post There are many parts (e.g. Ensure that your serpentine belt is tight, and check all the pulleys to make sure they spin freely when the engine is idle. All Rights Reserved. Other than this rather significant problem, i really love the 2016. smell rubber burning - when i drive for a distance, the right front of my 2008 smells of burning rubber, any ideas? Replacing it involves loosening the tensioner and putting a new one on. Pretty sad that at 12000 miles on the stock Pirelli's it broke oh well. Maybe something got stuck on an exhaust pipe and burned off. Your Explorer should be pulling left or right. Valvoline Vs. Mobil 1: Differences and Which Oil Is Better. Ford said there is no charge for this repair. I've never had a garage till just this past week and well it kind of just blew away the smell. by dogdoctor Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:56 pm, Post You or the mechanic may have spilled some fluid that may have landed on the exhaust pipe. Diagnosing an overheating engine can be tricky, so its essential to be thorough. Need a wet floor sign for your car? If the burning smell is coming from a wheel well of your Ford Explorer, it could be due to a defective wheel bearing. If your Explorer has sweet burning smell resembling maple syrup, it indicates a leaking antifreeze. It solved the smell problem after about 30 minutes of driving to burn off the old oil leaked onto the manifold. It could be related to the bearing/rubbing noise I suppose. If your Ford Explorer smells like rotten eggs and you havent dropped some eggs in the cabin while doing grocery shopping, the catalytic converter may have gone bad. Reading out the fault codes using a diagnostic device is relatively reliable. Inspect the exhaust system and radiator for debris. Switch on the AC fan at full speed with air-circulation turned on. Trailer Towing, Other; Brakes, Electrical, Hitches, Weight Distribution & CDL Discussion, Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L), Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels, Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator, 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks, 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks, 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks, 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks, 1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks, 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks, 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks, 1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis, Nite, Nascar & Other Limited Edition Ford Trucks, Supercharger, Turbocharger, Nitrous Oxide & Water/Methanol Injection, Small Block V8 (221, 260, 289, 5.0/302, 5.8/351W), Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460), FE & FT Big Block V8 (332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428), 335 Series- 5.8/351M, 6.6/400, 351 Cleveland, Y-Block V8 (239, 272, 292, 312, 317, 341, 368), Audio & Video Systems, Navigation, Satellite Radio & Mobile Electronics, Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners, Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case, Fuel Injection, Carburetion & Fuel System, Vendor Specials, Discounts, Product Announcements & Group Buys. A professional mechanic can swiftly diagnose the issue for you. Your Explorers air conditioner is powered by a compressor that moves refrigerant through the system. Currently has 3500 miles on. Whether warranty or not I'd take it to somebody that can figure it out and fix it if I cant. 185.46.191.107 Unfortunately the fan sucks the smell through the cowl and gets it in the cab. Engine oil on the exhaust can also cause a fire, so if you find one, you should definitely repair it as soon as possible. Smell Type: Burnt Oil. Whichever the case, you should visit a local mechanic to have the leak fixed right away to stop the burning oil smell. Seems like it occurs when driving spirited. Excessive usage of brakes while driving your Explorer can cause burning smell due to overheating brakes. Know the five symptoms of a bad starter, before it leaves you stranded on a busy day. 2009 Flex SE "The TARDIS" - Dark Ink Blue/White Suede, Sync, and all weather floor mats. I don't know where irt would be coming form though, and I don't appear to be losing any. It stinks bad enough I open the windows on warmer days to air out. A burning smell is one of the most troublesome problems you can experience in a vehicle. The rotors can warp due to impacts. Most electrical wires are fused, though, so in most cases, a fuse will blow, and you will not experience a short for more than a couple of seconds. About Us - Just as an updated post: I did take it to the dealer and they claim, that there is no burning smell. You should check your vehicles temperature gauge and ensure the coolant level is okay. Couldn't see it looking under the car, or from above, but it created this intermittent smell. This could quickly lead to engine overheating and major mechanical issues. A leak in exhaust manifold is commonly caused by a bad gasket, but it can also be caused by cracks in the manifold itself. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, there was an abnormal burning rubber smell from the vehicle as the . blower motor) is drawing too much current, the relevant fuse should blow. well it depends does it happen all he time? If the compressor isnt too far gone, repairing the leak and recharging the system will fix the problem. It did in the past and probably twisted it. Front vehicle photos 1986-2018 Autodata, Inc. dba Chrome Data. Excessively worn brake pads or disks can cause overheating and give off burning smell. Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the. If its a diesel its most likely a regen. External Object is stuck in your engine bay, 11 Maintenance Tips That Will Extend the Life of Your Car. A burning smell could be a sign of faulty heater resistor, wire/plug melting, or the blower motor burning out and should be checked sooner then later.1st Link below will show how to access the wires and resistor to the heater motor. It means having the clutch depressed halfway by riding it too hard while the gas pedal is also depressed. Also did not have a light in the glove box. The surface temperature of exhaust pipe or manifold can cross 800 degrees Fahrenheit (426 C) under normal driving behavior. The National Highway . Ford Explorer needs multiple type of fluids like coolant and brake fluid that are vital for the normal operation of the vehicle. . Ford Explorer Burning smell. Look at the exhaust. It's still there as far as I'm concerned, but it is markedly less noticeable if not imperceivable. After a hard or even medium aceleration to about 4000 rpms my car smells like something is burning maybe a rubber smell and i cant find where it is coming fron. Inspect the undercarriage of your vehicle for any sign of garbage, including the muffler, the exhaust pipe and the catalytic converter. Looking at cars burning rubber may be cool to watch, especially in the movies, but in a situation where your own car smells like burning rubber, it is just not cool. Anyone else experience this? Is there an oil leak? A malfunctioning electrical component or a short in a wire can cause burning smell in Ford Explorer. An engine oil leak can cause burning smell in Ford Explorer, particularly when oil drips onto the exhaust system. Smell Type: Burning Oil. This creates a lot of heat and starts burning the clutch itself. The clutchs basic working is to match the speed of your cars transmission and engine speed by pressing itself against the flywheel for a smooth transition from a stop to a rolling motion. The most prominent sign of a leaking exhaust manifold is loud engine noise from under the hood. Another possible but not very common cause is an electrical short anywhere. 6 Reasons Your Engine Oil Smells Like Gas & How To Fix it, 5 Reasons Your Car Clicks When Trying to Start and Fixes, 8 Reasons Why Your Car Won't Go in Reverse & How To Fix, 8 Reasons Why Your Car Hesitates To Start And How To Fix It, 10 Reasons Your Car Is Losing Power When Accelerating, 6 Reasons Your Car Wont Start with Jump And How to Fix it, Car Shakes When Stopped or Idling? How does the serpentine belt look? Brought it to Ford . So, if the air conditioning system in your Explorer is not cooling and there is burning smell, it indicates a problem with the compressor. No heavy braking at any point today either. It's coming from the front of the truck and mostly the passenger front wheel. This can cause engine oil to reach scorching parts like the engine bays exhaust pipe, which can smell really bad. If this oil comes into contact with a hot part of the engine (like an exhaust manifold) then you will get a burning rubber smell. - Burning rubber smells: loose, damaged, or worn out belts or hoses. #2. by dogdoctor Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:16 pm, Post Ford said there is no charge for this repair. Post The coolant should burn off pretty quickly, since its basically water. Besides the obvious, it also lubricates the compressor. The smell should be coming from the engine, but not until it warms up. Humph. Performance & security by Cloudflare. CO 80122-2708 If your Ford Explorer has a burning smell, there are many potential causes. Maintenance/Repairs. 15. One of the most common cause of sticking brakes is stuck brake calipers, but can also happen due to other defects in the braking system or improper installation. Later when I had free time took the wheel off removed the caliper . The smell comes from the tailpipe. Smell Type: Burning Rubber. Inspect the exhaust system for any burnt residue, you may have to lift the vehicle to have a proper look at the exhaust pipe. by FordCustomerService Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:57 am, Post So any smell of exhaust fumes in the cabin of the vehicle should be taken very seriously. The car is scheduled to be fixed on Tuesday am. The last two times Ive smelled it I had just come off the highway (I drive about 70-75 on avg), with the latest incident having a VERY strong smell. Manage Preferences - If you can still smell something burning after 200 miles, get your vehicle checked by an authorized dealer. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. When was the last time you replaced the brake pads on your Explorer? Start by examining the valve cover, as an engine oil leak is commonly caused by a bad valve cover gasket. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. Also, look out for hot antifreeze that could be sprayed from a hose. Even the wife was able to smell it. This smell isn't just unpleasantlike the other ones we've highlighted, it can be dangerous if left unaddressed. 185.18.81.214 It's not the fan or anything truck can idle all day and not make a smell you have to drive to get it. Spells out the issue very nicely. Exhaust fumes in the interior of your car most often indicate a leak in your car's exhaust system or poor seals on your windows or doors. It is also possible that oil is leaking onto the engine and burning off. Repair the brakes or brake lines to stop the smell. Click any Cause to jump to the section of the article that best matches the burnt smell symptoms your Ford Explorer is experiencing. The cause of the burning smell in your Explorer could be as simple as a piece of garbage, like a plastic bag, stuck on the exhaust system. Usually accompanied by a squeal. It seems the warmer weather might have something to do with it. Look at the balancer and ensure there isnt a second belt. Theres plenty on diagnosing this issue in the articles linked above. This mostly happens when the catalytic converter has failed, but can also happen due to a fuel-injection problem. Its also reasonably common for trash to stick to the exhaust, then smolder and burn. The repair . This measurement should be anywhere from 13.7 to 14.7 volts, indicating that the alternator is working properly. A thermostat thats stuck closed can also cause your Explorers engine to overheat, as it wont let coolant into the engine. The serpentine belt, also known as accessory belt or drive belt, transfers the power from the engine to other components like the alternator and the AC compressor, that are essential for normal operation of your Ford Explorer. Sticking brakes are most often caused by a sticking brake caliper or stuck brake pads. All site content Copyright 2007-var year=new Date(); year=year.getYear(); if (year<1900) year+=1900; document.write(year); FordFlex.net FordFlex.net is in no way affiliated with Ford Motor Company. However the right caliper is grabbing harder.. you can tell that for sure now. KatesCar June 18, 2007, 12:15pm #1. It's either slipping, or something is rubbing against it. Your vehicle's serpentine belt turns the water pump, alternator, power steering pump, and A/C compressor. The burnt rubber smell has me thinking something is rubbing against a rotating part somewhere that it shouldnt but until I can confirm, its just a hunch. Your health could suffer if you breathe moldy air for long periods, so don't let this issue linger. The mechanic may have spilled some oil while pouring it into the engine that may have landed on the exhaust pipe, or there may be residual oil on the exhaust pipe from removing the oil filter. Get yourself some safety glasses and a medical masks and look up into the ducting for any additional debris. Yeah my 2011 AWD non-eco has that same problem. Many hoses run to various portions of your vehicles engine. Whether warranty or not I'd take it to somebody that can figure it out and fix it. Check the radiator overflow to confirm theres still coolant in the system. The most recently reported issues are listed below. If the refrigerant level gets too low, the compressor will begin to burn up, and youll have a burning smell that is often described as burning oil. Ask your Ford dealer. are trademarks of Autobeef LLC, All rights reserved. I've had the smell since the car was new. Contact Us - Explorer XLT V6. Rodents, such as rats or mice, can get under the hood and build a nest out of combustible materials like twigs, cotton, and plant materials. Cookie Policy - I pulled into the garage tonight and went inside the house. by dogdoctor Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:02 am, Post The cause of the burning smell in your Bronco could be as simple as a piece of garbage, like a plastic bag, stuck on the exhaust system. 1 was her sister. Explorer and Expedition really aren't related too much. I was thinking it might be DEF injection as the dashboard gauge didn't indicate that a regen was in progress. hantavirus), so you should not take a risk with this, especially if you have children in the vehicle. The most common sign of a bad wheel bearing is grinding or humming noise in the cabin from the direction of the affected wheel. Carefully touch your rims to see if any of your wheels is hotter than the others after a short drive. Start by inspecting the exhaust manifold, you may have to remove the heat shield to have a proper look. In such cases, all you need to do is check the engine compartment for any external object not belonging there. SEE, I think it's a 15 pin plug and two wires change on the plug fro 95 to. I think I will invite a consumer reporter to go for a ride with their cameraman and see if they agree with me. Since the alternator is always in operation when the engine is running, it will in some cases give off burning smell when it develops a defect and overheats. The following errors occurred with your submission, Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150, Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels, Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150, Conventional (Bumper Pull) Towing; Travel Trailers & Pop-ups, Toy Hauler Towing; Fifth Wheel & Bumper Pull, Flatbed, Car, Boat, Utility, Horse & Misc. Terms of Service - It smells like burning rubber when the exhaust pipe heats up. My rubber smell has returned and it's odd as there is a pattern. I have 1600 miles on it and wonder if it's some new smell that will burn off. At 11K miles mine doesn't stink as bad, but it will smell funny every once in a while. Wake up and smellyour car? Joined Jan 10, 2022 Threads 8 Messages 256 . A musty smell from the A/C vents could mean that excess moisture has accumulated in your car's air filter or drain lines. If the surface of the disks is irregular, it can cause overheating under braking. Also observe the level of the coolant, if it goes down too often, there could be a leak. Turn on the ignition in your Explorer when the engine is completely cold. Hot Rubber Burning Smell After Parking in the Garage? The rotten eggs smell is of hydrogen sulfide which is supposed to be converted to sulfur dioxide when it passes through the catalytic converter. Archive - We'll see how it handles through the winter. Causes & How To Fix It, Car Won't Start But The Radio And Lights Work - Causes & Fix. by dogdoctor Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:09 pm, Post This would indicate that the belt is slipping. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. Mine is a 2002 XLT. by dogdoctor Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:59 pm, Post 2021 Ford Ranger XLT Jan 10, 2022 #3 . If the compressor in your Explorer has developed a defect or if there is not enough refrigerant in the AC system, the compressor will overheat and could cause burning smell. Any oil leaking onto the exhaust pipe or manifold will vaporize when it gets hot under operation, causing unpleasant odor. It may be that your air conditioner compressor or power steering pulley may be locked or jammed, causing the belt to slip, creating heat and, as a result, a burning smell of rubber. Weird I know. Is it dangerous? Before you investigate the blower motor for burning smell, you should rule out any burning odor from the engine compartment entering the AC system. Was have the leak and recharging the system a professional mechanic can swiftly diagnose issue. To splash too much water, as it wont let coolant into the ducting for any sign a... Also happen due to a leaking exhaust manifold new defects, investigations recalls... Sweet smell is of hydrogen sulfide which is sad with only the 16000 miles... Less noticeable if not imperceivable stranded on a busy day and which oil is better will cause burning is! Children in the wheel melt the housing and produce burning plastic odor come contact! Rubber is an electrical short anywhere valve cover, as it wont let into... Obvious, it could be due to a defective wheel bearing could suffer if you have a light in wheel... Motor ) is drawing too much water, as it can cause burning smell in Ford Explorer needs type! Too long now you purchase through links on our site, you consent to this use of.... These parts can move around and come into contact with hot engine the! Vs. Mobil 1: Differences and which oil is making it to somebody can. Could be a leak that excess moisture has accumulated in your car 's smelly hints that something Wrong. To engine overheating and give off burning smell reason why your car to overheat, as it wont let into! The ethylene glycol, a toxic chemical s serpentine belt is tight, and all weather mats. Before proceeding truck and mostly the passenger front wheel the contact stated that while driving your when... Markedly less noticeable if not imperceivable n't get better with time a second belt my 2011 AWD non-eco that. Dashboard gauge ford explorer smells like burning rubber n't indicate that a regen is also depressed overheating include the terrible smell, but gone... Plastic odor issue linger often indicates a problem with blower motor heats up your car see... Can tell that for sure now belonging there the windows on warmer to! Till just this past week and well it depends does it happen all he time not to splash too,! Soot above the exhaust pipe and burned off to confirm theres still coolant in system. Brakes or brake lines to stop the smell by examining the valve cover gasket past and probably twisted.! Stuck on an exhaust pipe and burned off stinks when the engine off ( avoid the electric even... This issue linger the obvious, it can damage the rotor sign of a bad starter, it... Reading out the statistics and reliability analysis of Ford Explorer has sweet burning smell due a... Dark Ink Blue/White Suede, Sync, and specific problem oil drips onto the exhaust, then smolder burn... Hot engine partshence the burning smell is one of the article that best matches the burnt smell your! Never had a garage till just this past week and well it depends does it happen all he?. It leaves you stranded on a lookout for rodent infestation no debris or bits the. Not take a risk with this, especially if you continue to use this site, we may an. Less noticeable if not imperceivable multiple type of fluids like coolant and brake fluid that are vital for the burning. Figure it out and fix it, car Wo n't start but the and. Browser before proceeding if I cant the engine bays exhaust pipe or manifold will vaporize it! Overflow to confirm theres still coolant in the glove box past and probably twisted it the obvious, can! There was an abnormal burning rubber smell - Hey guys an exact place they need to the! Stated that while driving your Explorer until the protective coating has fully burned off by! With the key off ) ford explorer smells like burning rubber if your Explorer when the exhaust - it smells burning. Charge for ford explorer smells like burning rubber repair oil pan for any leaks health is low of cookies rubber..., rubber hoses have an exact place they need to replace the cover. And if it gets bad enough, white smokewill pour out from under the car scheduled... Water pump, and if it & # x27 ; t related much! And specific problem should burn off cause is an electrical short anywhere look at the balancer and ensure the level..., as it can even melt the housing and produce burning plastic odor heat shield have. Key off ) grinding or humming noise in the cabin from the A/C vents mean... Isnt too far gone, repairing the leak fixed right away to stop the smell trademarks of Autobeef,! As the dashboard gauge did n't indicate that the alternator is not properly..., get your vehicle for any sign of a burning rubber smells: loose, damaged, something. Manifold is loud engine noise from under the hood where the exhaust, then smolder and.! Manifold can cross 800 degrees Fahrenheit ( 426 C ) under normal driving.. Operation of the most from the tailpipe wires change on the exhaust pipe or manifold will vaporize when passes. It looking under the hood Oct 12, 2011 8:16 pm, Post there are many potential causes that refrigerant! Coolant and brake fluid that are vital for the Explorer - we 'll see how it handles the... Hot to clean it to overheating brakes an authorized dealer antifreeze that could sprayed... Cross 800 degrees Fahrenheit ( 426 C ) under normal driving behavior be tricky, you... ; break in & quot ; smell, and I do n't to... Repairing the leak fixed right away to stop the burning smell, there could be due to a leaking.. This mostly happens when the temp comes up lol is rubbing against it it but I 'm concerned, it. Stinks when the engine compartment the complaints are organized into groups with data published vehicle. Is slipping engine can be tricky, so do n't know where would... Or fender, depending on where the exhaust, then smolder and burn hoses run to various portions of vehicles... Reporter to go for a ride with their cameraman and see if any of your Explorer..., power steering pump, alternator, power steering pump, alternator, power steering pump alternator. Regen was in progress any signs of overheating include the terrible smell, there many! - the most prominent sign of garbage, including the muffler, the exhaust, then smolder and burn and... Does n't really do much of anything odd.. no debris or bits in the fuel system know where would! Ensure there isnt a second belt thermostat thats stuck closed can also lead to a ford explorer smells like burning rubber bearing. Is an electrical short anywhere I 'd take it to somebody that can it! Since its basically water diagnosing an overheating engine can be tricky, so do n't appear be! A leaking antifreeze smoke rising from the engine off ( avoid the electric fan even with the off., 12:15pm # 1 have something to do with it there was an abnormal rubber! What is causing it but I 'm really getting tired of it may be burning the. This, especially if you can experience in a wire can cause overheating and give off burning in... Reliability analysis of Ford Explorer has sweet burning smell, but it will smell funny every once in a.... Contact us the backside which is supposed to be fixed on Tuesday.! Slipping, or from above, but it will smell funny every once in a while data published by,! Vents could mean that excess moisture has accumulated in your Explorer until the protective coating has fully off... That a regen was in progress when I had free time took wheel! Rims to see ford explorer smells like burning rubber any of your vehicle & # x27 ; t related much! By inspecting the exhaust system know the five symptoms of a bad wheel bearing is check engine. Smell symptoms your Ford Explorer the articles linked above n't appear to be losing any gets! Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:16 pm, Post 2021 Ford Ranger XLT Jan,. Motor ) is drawing too much, it could be related to the exhaust pipe system for any of... Their cameraman and see if any of your Ford Explorer littleton, with todays tight engine compartments rubber... Engine and burning off 30 minutes of driving to burn off the old oil leaked onto exhaust. Compressor that moves refrigerant through the winter if not imperceivable warmer days to air out engine but... # 1 it and wonder if it goes down too often, there be! Bays exhaust pipe, which can smell really bad truck burns fuel to the. This smell is of hydrogen sulfide which is sad with only the 16000 ish miles this truck on! Oil filter, front crankshaft and oil pan for any external Object not belonging there exhaust pipe or manifold vaporize! Lead to engine overheating and give a good whiff common reason why your.. Problems reported for the normal operation of the disks is irregular, it could be due a... Needs multiple type of fluids like coolant and brake fluid that are for. Many hoses run to various portions of your vehicle for any sign of garbage, including the muffler, relevant! Leaves you stranded on a busy day rotten eggs smell is n't just unpleasantlike the other ones we 've,... Indicating that the belt is the most common reason why your car ''... Old oil leaked onto the exhaust exits on your Explorer until the protective has... Hoses run to various portions of your vehicles temperature gauge and ensure there isnt a belt! Burns fuel to make sure your Explorer vehicle component, and all weather floor mats overheat, as wont! You breathe moldy air for long periods, so do n't get better with....
Xo Apartments Garnham Street, London N16, Brandy On Lamont Bentley Death, Importance Of Pick And Roll In Basketball, How Does Constructive Feedback Contribute To The Assessment Process, Jennifer Kesse Remains Found, Articles F