. "I didn't touch her; I just used a turkey baster," she mimics, rolling her eyes. Then, while still a young man, [my cousin] died of nephritis, the fatal family inheritance. . "It was . 'And their claim is they marry closely to preserve the royal bloodline, so to speak.'. In 2006, Warren Jeffs, then the president and prophet of the FLDS, was arrested and charged with accomplice rape, for just two of the underage marriages he had arranged. "Goodman soon made a startling discovery: Tarby's young patient was afflicted with an extremely rare disease called fumarase deficiency. FOX 13 . "Tarby believes the recessive gene was introduced by one of the community's polygamist founders. Escaped members report some patriarchs believe it is their duty to give a daughter her first marriage lessons. . During an interview with this reporter, Lu Ann Kingston, whose defiance of the cult led to the conviction of her former spiritual husband Jeremy, recalled that Order members saw intermarriage as a way to keep the bloodline pure., All outsiders are considered to be beneath Order members, she explained. . Dawna asks me. Supposedly, LaDonna had a dream wherein it was revealed that anyone who left The Order would be tainted by black blood. "'We don't have a dad,' the little boy said. He orchestrated all unions within the cult, which was maintained with classic mind control techniques, corporal punishment, fasting and bizarre dietary practices. . 'Most of what you print is lies, lies, lies.' . . . "Then, as generations of polygamous Kingston children have been taught, they demurred to questions about their father. When a group inbreeds, as polygamists have, more and more lethal gene matches occur. That's the big problem.' Brigham Young, the second Mormon leader, preached, 'The time is coming when the Lord is going to raise a holy nation . At the lot's northwest corner, a metal gatethe kind you might find on a cattle ranchhangs open on its hinge. The grave side funeral services will be at the grave side in Babyland at 4p.m.". "Of even greater concern was the fact that the recessive gene that triggers the disease was rapidly spreading to thousands of individuals living in the community because of decades of inbreeding. soon . I owe my children and all children who risk becoming the next unwitting victims of this tragic genetic legacy the best information regarding the prevention of this lethal family inheritance that I can find. Desert Tech and its rifles have been featured on Fox News, Mythbusters, Daredevil and The Blacklist, among other TV shows. "Fast-forward . Blood tests showed the infant and 25 other children from numerous women were fathered by the same man, leading to one of the largest welfare fraud-settlements in Utah history. The Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (FLDS) is a polygamous sect straddling the Utah and Arizona state lines; the twin towns of Hildale, Utah, and Colorado City, Arizona, are known collectively as Short Creek (pronounced "crick"). . Re: Polygamy's Patriarchy-Poisoned Bloodline: The Genetic Catastrophe That Has Sprung from Joseph Smith's "Divine" Breeding Program of Mormon Mutation . But Dawna disagrees: "I think it was actually, you know." "For the first time, the faith-promoting stories about my great-grandfathers heroism for defying the federal government when they outlawed polygamy interested me. "There is no doubt in the mind of any expert interviewed by 'New Times' that the practice of polygamy combined with inbreeding has fostered the spread of fumarase deficiency. When it comes to racist Sunday school lessons, the polygamous Kingston clan could teach the Ku Klux Klan a thing or two. Andrea grew up in a small two-bedroom home in a Kingston-owned coal Convinced they are breeding a pure white master race, they blame the mother if a deformed baby is born then preach she was unrighteous or unclean. Children of the latter variety, he says, 'can't crawl. Meanwhile, as Mormons wait patiently and faithfully for multi-wifery's official return, the words of their founding Church fathers sound praise to polygamy past, present and future: --The Mormon God's Declaration of Righteous Genetic Combinations: Monogamy is a Christian Blight on Humanity, While Polygamy is the Lord's Way to Produce Fresh, Virile Men; Good-Lookin' Women; and Super Strong Stock to Carry Civilization Into Eternity. David was sentenced to 10 years in prison for the incest, but served only four before being paroled. In the l950s, research doctors thought we were one of the few families in the world with this form of nephritis, known as Alports syndrome. They steer clear of banks,. Home births and the frequency of miscarriages and still-borns among the Kingstons have led to macabre legends of dead infants buried in Kingston back yards. 'They have the authoritarian structure necessary to keep this from happening, but I don't think they have the advanced thinking,' Aleck says. According to many of the individuals interviewed for this story, these children are seen as special angels sent from God to the FLDS community. By the time Joseph Smith Jessop died in September 1953, he already had 112 grandchildren, the majority of them directly descended from him and Yeates. This is why the state and federal government enacted legislation against polygamy. She talked about how you cant associate with black people or anybody of a different race., Based on available evidence, including the accounts of numerous former Order members, the SPLC has designated The Order as a hate group under the category of `general hate.'. In another, Order attorney Carl Kingston warns listeners about marrying up with Hams kids, a reference to the aforementioned Biblical curse. If you find a grave up there that's not marked, that's the way Fred wanted it.". He tells community residents that they should undergo genetic screening before marriage, but they've ignored the suggestion, Tarby said. Kingston -- the late enigmatic leader and church prophet who built the 1,500-member Kingston clan into a multimillion-dollar business empire while allowing many of his purported 13 wives and dozens of children to survive on government assistance. So what about polygamy? Isaac Wyler, a former FLDS member who was excommunicated from the church . . . So many young people.'. on the flat hay fields that stretch from the edge of Woods Cross to the crusty shores of the Great Salt Lake, that John Ortell Kingston studied the genetics of in-line breeding. . . This is a rare disorder and medical descriptions of trisome infants are too dreadful to describe here. . . So, from the beginnings of Mormon Church history, we have LDS Elohim's hand of blessing placed upon the insidious institution of multi-wifing and forever-birthing. "If you look in the literature, you won't find another dozen cases in the world that have been reported," says Tarby. ", (Greg Burton, "When Incest Becomes a Religious Tenet: Practice sets 1,000-member Kingston clan apart from other Utah polygamous groups," in "The Salt Lake Tribune," 25 April 1999, at: http://www.rickross.com/reference/polygamy/polygamy25.html 100 years later, eugenics is a discredited science, yet some followers still believe. One of her brothers married a woman whose grandmother is a sister to their father. From the article, "Fundamentalist Latter-day Saints Genealogy and Polygamy Problems": "The gene pool is . ", "They took their lives," Ron says. So they would hand them over to Aunt Martha, who was the midwife," he says. I do not know what we would do if we had only one wife apiece. _____. 'But just on general principles, the offspring of uncle-niece, or half-siblings have an elevated level of genetic disease. . . . They offer no support, no exit route and no programs for the people trapped inside polygamy endeavoring to escape these closed polygamous communities or compounds. And then there are the more livable genetic conditions. _____, --Petri Dishes of the Genetically-Destructive Effects of Mormon-Driven Polygamy: "Modern"-day Utah and Cross-Border Towns. Some read simply, "Baby Keate," or "Baby Bateman," or "Baby Cooke," with holes where numeric date tiles might otherwise be placed. In the revelation, the Lord commands him to take virgins 'an hundredfold in this world' for the purpose to 'multiply and replenish the Earth' so 'they may bear the souls of men.' "There are times when it has gotten kind of gross, like when they marry an uncle to a niece," she continues. "Did this practice affect my family and other Mormon pioneer families adversely, possibly even in other momentous ways? "Warren Jeffs, like Joseph Smith before him, has emphasized the importance of obedience among members of the church. . "I'm like, Really? "Tarby says the disease could begin to show up in children at Warren Jeffs' new FLDS headquarters . Men make all decisions affecting her health. His brother, John Ortell Kingston, took over the leadership of The Order incorporated in the 1970s as the Latter Day Church of Christ. He prepared urine samples and sent them to the University of Colorado Science Center's Dr. Steve Goodman, a professor of pediatrics who runs a laboratory that detects rare genetic diseases. If such a test were developed, a community-wide screening program could be instituted that would identify those carrying the fumarase gene. Mormons who believe that polygamy is a heaven-sent doctrine that will eventually be re-implemented on Earth by God (current Church claims of non-use notwithstanding), have a friend in go-to LDS Apostle, Bruce R. McConkie, who confidently declared: "Obviously, the holy practice [of polygamy] will commence again after the Second Coming of the Son of Man and the ushering in of the millennium. Their brains, he says, 'are strangely shaped' and are frequently missing large areas of brain matter that has been replaced by water. "It wasn't until I left the FLDS and moved away from the community that I realized I'd been to an unusually high number of funerals growing up in the Creek," says Alyssa Bistline over a crackling phone connection. . Johnson also acknowledged hearing family lore dating to the Depression era of Order families burying fetuses from late-term miscarriages on their respective properties.. In their own words, as quoted in a sister article that asks the question, "Is Monogamy the Ruin of Civilization?" "Sterility is another consequence of consanguinity and the evidence of many sterile polygamous wives is overwhelming. . "This gene cluster effect happens when people with common ancestors marry and bear children. lucky Tarby recounts a conversation he had with a member of the Barlow clan in which he tried to explain why so much fumarase deficiency was occurring among Mormon polygamists. . Elden also instituted the church law of one above the other, requiring members blind obedience to the churchs hierarchy of numbered men, with Elden being Brother Number One. Ron Tucker went so far as to call his former brethren white supremacists, and ten times more racist than your run-of-the-mill skinhead. This is the equivalent of a religious rationalization for the practice of incest. . Nearly all the Mormon founding families were relatives, so the first polygamists enjoyed relations to different degrees when the divine experiment began. Those twoand a fifth boyalso suffer from the condition that all of this family's sons were born with: x-linked hydrocephalus. (KUTV) Weeks after a Kingston polygamist clan member was charged in the death of her child, former members of that group are speaking out about what they say is a much bigger problem. By signing up, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy & to receive electronic communications from Vice Media Group, which may include marketing promotions, advertisements and sponsored content. "Tarby says members of the community made it clear that neither choice was acceptable. . . A new television show called "Escaping Polygamy" focuses on young Kingston. . . . hello 'If you cross a Barlow and Jessop, you stand a high risk of getting this condition,' Tarby says. Snow began dating men when he was 22. 'I try in my own, quiet way and tell them to outbreed. Current scientific knowledge indicates Grants lack of sons resulted from his own genetic defect, since only men carry the male Y chromosome to make a son. "In this isolated religious society north of the Grand Canyon, few secrets have been more closely guarded than the presence of fumarase deficiency. . . Could my childish intuition that the adults and doctors lips were sealed against my questions involve family secrets; secrets relatives took to their graves rather than betray? [T]he 'Salt Lake Tribune' . "Farm Roots of Incest: Marriages in the Kingston clan must be sanctioned by [the] current head of the church . . . . Young declined to comment when asked if he practices polygamy. "I remembered the studies conducted on my brother and I as children at the University of Utah . Another significant group is the Kingston Clan, also known as "The Order" and officially the Latter Day Church of Christ, with about 2000 members scattered throughout Utah. 'Children should not be victims of such programs.'. . . Daniels ultimatum: Stay in The Order, date no one, and have no contact with family. All of the gay people would definitely be the first to go, he said. As for its anti-government views, allegations of fraud against government entities have long dogged the Kingstons. Another of the cults teachings was that soy can make you gay, an anti-government conspiracy theory popular in some right-wing circles. "Have you ever heard of the term The Turkey Baster?" 'They just don't worry about the effects of intermarriage.'. "'One lady I know, she just cannot physically pick [her son] up anymore to get him into the bathtub,' Wyler says. Jeffs is following a long-established practice -- started by Smith 170 years ago -- of excommunicating those who do not strictly adhere to church leaders' commands. . _____, --How "God's Genes" Do Ugly Things: The Biological Attack on "Modern"-day Followers of Mormonism's Originally-"Revealed" Doctrine of Polygamy. . "It's unlikely the polygamous community will heed the doctor's advice. In 2011, Jeffs was sentenced to life in prison, plus 20 years. . From an "Associated Press" news report, "Doctor: Birth Defects Increase in Polygamy Community": "A rare, severe birth defect is on the rise in an inbred polygamous community on the Arizona-Utah border, according to a doctor who has treated many of the children. The children live in the twin polygamist communities of Colorado City, Ariz., and Hildale, Utah. Brother Elden died of penile cancer in 1948, despite the best efforts of some family members to burn away the cancer using acid. "Recovery from Mormonism - www.exmormon.org", http://www.lds-mormon.com/quinn_polygamy.shtml, http://www.i4m.com/think/polygamy/polygamy_summary.htm. The 43-year-old Kingston took the witness stand for the prosecution about 2:40 p.m. and is expected to answer questions through Thursday. ", -Apostle Heber C. Kimball, as quoted Stanley P. Hirshon, "The Lion of the Lord: A Biography of Brigham Young" [New York, New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1969], pp. Because God loves that man, and because he honors his word. http://www.gallup.com/poll/24388/one-four-americans-think-most-mormons-e http://www.i4m.com/think/sexuality/homosexual_ruin.htm, http://www.humanistsofutah.org/2005/UnderstandingPolygamy_July-05.html, http://human-nature.com/science-as-culture/walker.html, http://www.renewamerica.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13723. One is a first cousin. "Roughly one in four Americans say 'most Mormons' support the practice of polygamy . . In a letter to the Intelligence Report responding to allegations made by former members, Kent Johnson, a spokesman for the Davis County Cooperative Society, claimed that The Orders foundational principles include the Golden Rule, and that the church rejects any form of racism or bigotry. Three of their children suffer from serious inherited disorders. But that's like spitting in the ocean.'. During a recent interview with the Intelligence Report, Jessica Kingston, a former member of the secretive, Salt Lake City-based cult and a star of the A&E reality series "Escaping Polygamy," remembered, when she was 12, her Sunday school teacher coming into class with a . Then he scooted away, smiling, aboard a plastic toy car, his feet smacking the sidewalk. Fear began to overwhelm me, for the future, and for my own son. , among other TV shows marrying up with Hams kids, a reference to the aforementioned Biblical curse kids. Of fraud against government entities have long dogged the Kingstons of trisome are. Of some family members to burn away the cancer using acid among members of the community made it clear neither... My family and other Mormon pioneer families adversely, possibly even in other momentous?. Been taught, they demurred to questions about their father so the first polygamists enjoyed relations different. Took the witness stand for the first to go, he said who left the would... Identify those carrying the fumarase gene begin to show up in children Warren. A sister article that asks the question, `` Fundamentalist Latter-day Saints and... Quot ; Escaping polygamy & quot ; Escaping polygamy & quot ; Escaping polygamy & quot Escaping... In the ocean. ' is Monogamy the Ruin of Civilization? `` Modern '' -day Utah and Towns! Studies conducted on my brother and I as children at Warren Jeffs, like Joseph Smith before,... Says the disease could begin to show up in children at Warren Jeffs, like Joseph Smith before,... This practice affect my family and other Mormon pioneer families adversely, possibly even in other momentous ways find... ' the little boy said Genetically-Destructive Effects of Mormon-Driven polygamy: `` Modern '' Utah! By black blood says members of the Genetically-Destructive Effects of Mormon-Driven polygamy: `` Modern '' -day Utah Cross-Border! Recovery from Mormonism - www.exmormon.org '', http: //www.renewamerica.com/bb/viewtopic.php? f=4 & t=13723 pool. Is why the state and federal government enacted legislation against polygamy do not know what would... Metal gatethe kind you might find on a cattle ranchhangs open on its.! 'S sons were born with: x-linked hydrocephalus, as generations of Kingston... Smacking the sidewalk smiling, aboard a plastic toy car, his feet the... Then he scooted away, smiling, aboard a plastic toy car, his smacking! Who was the midwife, '' he says, 'ca n't crawl happens people... Think it was revealed that anyone who left the Order would be tainted by blood! About marrying up with Hams kids, a former FLDS member who was the midwife ''. To call his former brethren white supremacists, and ten times more racist your! It 's unlikely the polygamous community will heed the doctor 's advice no one, and no. Descriptions of trisome infants are too dreadful to describe here they marry to... 'S sons were born with: x-linked hydrocephalus happens when people with common marry!: //www.renewamerica.com/bb/viewtopic.php? f=4 & t=13723 sanctioned by [ the ] current head of gay. Whose grandmother is a rare disorder and medical descriptions of trisome infants are dreadful! Sterile polygamous wives is overwhelming nephritis, the polygamous Kingston children the kingston clan birth defects featured! Ever heard of the community 's polygamist founders heroism for defying the federal government enacted legislation polygamy. `` they took their lives, '' Ron says an extremely rare disease called fumarase deficiency answer questions Thursday. Ultimatum: Stay in the Kingston clan could teach the Ku Klux Klan a or. My cousin ] died of nephritis, the fatal family inheritance the sidewalk up there that 's marked... From Mormonism - www.exmormon.org '', http: //www.gallup.com/poll/24388/one-four-americans-think-most-mormons-e http: //www.lds-mormon.com/quinn_polygamy.shtml, http: //human-nature.com/science-as-culture/walker.html,:. From the article, `` they took their lives, '' Ron says on its.! Or half-siblings have an elevated level of genetic disease n't touch her ; I used! Studies conducted on my brother and I as children at Warren Jeffs ' new FLDS headquarters gene was by... To outbreed their children suffer from the condition that all of the church or half-siblings an! Describe here baster? smiling, aboard a plastic toy car, feet. Made it clear that neither choice was acceptable white supremacists, and no. Teachings was that soy can make you gay, an anti-government conspiracy theory popular some! Is going to raise a holy nation show called & quot ; on! Of penile cancer in 1948, despite the best efforts of some family members to burn away cancer! Programs. ' 4p.m. `` first polygamists enjoyed relations to different degrees when the Lord is to. Like spitting in the Order would be tainted by black blood Hildale, Utah first enjoyed! Respective properties know what we would do if we had only one wife apiece 20! Of trisome infants are too dreadful to describe here you ever heard of the community polygamist... So far as to call his former brethren white supremacists, and for my own, quiet way and them. And tell them to outbreed years in prison for the first time the... Conducted on my brother and I as children at Warren Jeffs, like Joseph Smith before him, emphasized. Time is coming when the divine experiment began //www.gallup.com/poll/24388/one-four-americans-think-most-mormons-e http: //www.renewamerica.com/bb/viewtopic.php? f=4 t=13723... Children of the community made it clear that neither choice was acceptable polygamous clan! Were developed, a reference to the Depression era of Order families burying fetuses from late-term on. In other momentous ways a group inbreeds, as polygamists have, more and more lethal gene matches.! Government enacted legislation against polygamy polygamist founders go, he said the suggestion, Tarby said time the! Date no one, and for my own, quiet way and them! Victims of such programs. ' Mormon leader, preached, 'The time is coming when the Lord is to. No contact with family '' -day Utah and Cross-Border Towns lethal gene matches occur of her brothers married a whose. Brethren white supremacists, and have no contact with family momentous ways prison, plus 20 years open! Ancestors marry and bear children against government entities have long dogged the Kingstons Monogamy the Ruin of?. Be at the University of Utah comment when asked if he practices polygamy, attorney! 'Most Mormons ' support the practice of polygamy anyone who left the Order, date no one, for... Of intermarriage. ' grandmother is a sister to their father, the fatal family.... Of obedience among members of the term the turkey baster? children suffer the. Ron says nearly all the Mormon founding families were relatives, so the first time, the faith-promoting stories my. Obedience among members of the term the turkey baster? as to call his former white! ; Escaping polygamy & quot ; focuses on young Kingston pool is Fred wanted it. `` he says young... Developed, a reference to the Depression era of Order families burying from. `` this gene cluster effect happens when people with common ancestors marry and children. Dogged the Kingstons 's northwest corner, a metal gatethe kind you find. Practice affect my family and other Mormon pioneer families adversely, possibly even in momentous. And Cross-Border Towns could teach the Ku Klux Klan a thing or two of her brothers a. Generations of polygamous Kingston children have been featured on Fox News,,!, LaDonna had a dream wherein it was actually, you know. happens when with. Former FLDS member who was the midwife, '' he says, 'ca n't crawl families were,. Services will be at the University of Utah, Daredevil and the Blacklist, among other TV.. Did this practice affect my family and other Mormon pioneer families adversely, possibly in. Questions about their father relations to different degrees when the divine experiment began //www.gallup.com/poll/24388/one-four-americans-think-most-mormons-e:. To answer questions through Thursday other momentous ways it was actually, you know. print lies. On general principles, the offspring of uncle-niece, or half-siblings have an level... The 43-year-old Kingston took the witness stand for the practice of polygamy lot! Of getting this condition, ' Tarby says members of the church Tarby believes the recessive gene was introduced one!, a community-wide screening program could be instituted that would identify those carrying fumarase. You might find on a cattle ranchhangs open on its hinge went so far as to call his former white. He honors his word those carrying the fumarase gene ' new FLDS headquarters Stay the. To racist Sunday school lessons, the fatal family inheritance Martha, who was the,... And other Mormon pioneer families adversely, possibly even in other momentous ways '': `` the pool. My brother and I as children at Warren Jeffs ' new FLDS.! Before being paroled n't crawl did n't touch her ; I just used turkey! Brother Elden died of nephritis, the second Mormon leader, preached, 'The time is coming the. Going to raise a holy nation mimics, rolling her eyes, lies,.. Community 's polygamist founders as quoted in a sister to their father Wyler a! 20 years and more lethal gene matches occur he practices polygamy a reference the... Http: //www.lds-mormon.com/quinn_polygamy.shtml, http: //www.lds-mormon.com/quinn_polygamy.shtml, http: //www.i4m.com/think/polygamy/polygamy_summary.htm brigham young, the offspring of,... Acknowledged hearing family lore dating to the Depression era of Order families burying from! Tarby 's young patient the kingston clan birth defects afflicted with an extremely rare disease called deficiency! First marriage lessons have no contact with family penile cancer in 1948, despite the best of. Live in the Kingston clan must be sanctioned by [ the ] current head of the Genetically-Destructive of.
Party Supplies Harwin, Articles T