Magic Rivas created Disco Showcase in 1979 on a small pay-for-time FM station in New York called WHBI, he didnt know he was starting what would become the very first rap radio show. Jack Diamond hosted the Jack Diamond Morning Show in Washington, DC for ABC radio for 30 years! Along the way, the Voice of the Negro became the Voice of the Nation. [13] Roland Martin hosted a program on WVON from October 2005 to October 2008.[45][46][47]. Jacks band was also the personal favorite of Vice President Al Gore and played many of their events both personal and for the administration. That was important, because at that time the (other) stations had very, very few African-Americans that were participating. My grandmother and mother dressed so jazzy, and so did their friends. Tags: BBChicago, black media, Dsanders, Samantha Thomas, talent, VonTV, WVON. Afternoon Drive, Weekdays2 p.m. - 7 p.m. TOP ROW, FROM LEFT:Melba Lara, Tony Sarabia, Jennifer WhiteBOTTOM ROW, FROM LEFT:Lauren Chooljian, Marc Garber, Jerome McDonnell, TOP ROW, FROM LEFT:Chip Mitchell, Natalie Moore, Michael PuenteBOTTOM ROW, FROM LEFT:Becky Vevea, OdetteYousef and Sarah Karp. I waited two years to attend, but the wait was just what I needed. In 2014, she started the initial concept of her web series, SmallTALK With Samantha. [32], The FCC process of assigning a license for the vacant 1450 AM frequency resulted in a shared-time arrangement, as applicants Midway Broadcasting Corporation and Migala Communications reached an agreement to split the broadcast day. How does this position fit into your career plans? It's the movement. Im one of the first of my family to graduate from a university, and getting an Emmy Award before I turned 30 years old. With just 1,000 watts of power, the station surprised everyone by becoming a broadcast sensation, indeed giving voice to a culture and community otherwise marginalized on the airwaves. Greene got an unusual start to his broadcasting career when he began DJing for the Virginia prison in which he was serving a five-year sentence for armed robbery. Clothes are just an outward expression of my classy, comfy and cool personality. Spann began his radio career in the 1950s. And we all went through it. Saturday: 12:00 AM - 06:00 AM Some of my best work has been done under pressure. | Source: New York Daily News Archive / Getty. Funny story, my mother said that at around four years old, I would cry because I didnt want to wear pants, and that I only wanted to wear dresses, lol! Grand Crossing District officers were the first to respond to the fire and were told by a woman outside that Cordell and his daughter Pat were still inside. Season one, The Drug Wars, tells the story of an FBI agent who goes undercover with a biker gang, and follows a trail of clues that eventually leads to the US invasion of a foreign country. [49] In late 2018, its studios were moved to the South Loop. (DJs who made their name before becoming radio personalities have been excluded, but honorable mentions must go to folks like Steve Harvey, Rickey Smiley and Yolanda Adams.). I jumped on that wave early in the game, although I didnt understand how effective and cool it would be for my job. The Download,Weeknights 7 p.m. - 11 p.m. THE LOOP You know their voices, but how about their faces? The positive response to Lindseys impromptu show led WHUR station manager (and now Urban One founder), Cathy Hughes, to give him his own time slot. WVON's origins date back to 1963, when the radio station's owner Chess Records began programming soul, and rhythm and blues music. She also kept us involved in extracurricular activities like summer camps, after-school programs, and church. They didn't know we were all black. They know the benchmarks that are important, and where you can get the authentic word. Scientists have strong evidence of animal spillover at a market.. Make sure that the stream settings are properly selected in "Module General Options -> Content -> Stream Settings". WVON: The Good Ol Days of 60s Radio. Throughout the 1960s, many listeners on the south and west sides of Chicago wholeheartedly agreed with Cordell's sentiments towards the local radio station WVON 1450AM, "The Voice of the This is the undercurrent. It turned out to be perfect timing. I always tell people Chicago is such fertile ground for our people, great movements. There was this feeling, there was this undercurrent that just ran throughout our community (that) the mainstream media kind of missed. Rufus Thomas was the preeminent DJ of Memphis WDIA, the nations first radio station with an all-Black air staff. VON TV is powered by WVON Radio. Mary J. Blige. I began filling in as needed as the traffic/weather and news anchor, and things took off from there. And dominated. Q&A Anita Wilson Gospel Musics Soul Sister, Q&A with Kiley Russell, Founder of Kemit Academy, Q&A With Briahna Gatlin, Head Of Swank PR, EYE ON CHI: Kendria K Love Harris aka K Love The Poet, EYE ON CHI: Ana Sierra of Ana Sierra of ASWBL Ana Sierra Womens Basketball League, EYE ON CHI: Rick Stone Stone and Robert. So this whole idea of black talk radio was really an extension of Mr. South's influence. You just couldn't fight FM. [11][15] Though the station was initially geared strictly to a black audience, by 1968 its playlist had expanded to include songs by white artists that were compatible with the station's sound, in an effort to reach a wider audience. There's something about this place. MORE: National Radio Day: Black Stations And The Pioneers Who Helped Shape Their Programming. Thousands of baskets we gave to the poor and the needy. Music, radio and podcasts, all free. There's not many places that an urban talk station can survive. Sports reveal the strange and fascinating psychology that competition brings out in all of us. I like coming back. I have a never-ending creative mind, but Ive found that Im most creative in the evening. Think about it: three U.S. senators (Barack Obama, Carol Moseley Braun and Roland Burris) and a president. Sunday: 03:00 PM - 07:00 PM, Mon - Fri: 12:00 AM - 06:00 AM The Patty Vasquez Show, WGN-AM, weeknights, 11 p.m. - 2 a.m. Our hosts cover all that matters to you. But we were in the food markets, vegetable markets, community centers, just everywhere. My difficulty has been no more than anybody else's difficulty, considering what this world has gone through in the last five years. I can always think of things that I could have done differently. But the elections have been criticized over logistical failings and violence that suppressed the vote. (WVON ). However, the gift of speaking was always within me, and it was noticed by Melody Spann-Cooper, the owner of WVON 1690AM, in 2019. If you've ever wondered what your favorite radio personalities look like, scroll down or check out the slideshow. Leonard (Chess) was a genius. With the introduction of social media, how has it enhanced your job? By continuing to push myself beyond comfort zones. "We had a monthlong debate over the word 'Negro,'" says Melody Spann-Cooper, daughter of Pervis Spann and chairman of Midway Broadcasting Corp., which owns WVON. Saturday: 08:00 PM - 12:00 AM I hope you enjoy experiencing NDIGO. So if we were in an economic recession in the mainstream, I was in a tsunami. Schlikerman, Becky. Willie Cochran Collapses During City Council Hearing, 39 Phones A Day Are Stolen On Average In Chicago, Chance, Gloria Estefan, Aziz Ansari, Nas Close Out Obama Summit, Parking Meter Firm To Get Extra $20 Million From City In 2018, Parking Restrictions Near Soldier Field And New Wintrust Arena OK'd, Woman Gives Birth (To Twins!) When brothers Leonard and Phil Chess bought WHFC-AM 1450 in 1963, their goal was to promote Chess Records, renaming the outlet WVON for Voice of the Negro. I know why people were so upset when Marshall Field's became Macy's. (Journalist) Lu Palmer would bring in the message as related to race and the struggle. Jack has also interviewed a Whos Who in sports, including virtually every major name in every major sport, and in many instances, participated in the Washington sports teams, community and charity outreaches. Say. What killed us was FM radio, and people are so fickle. "We are part of this nation, so we are the voice of a nation.". 4. WVON is owned by Midway Broadcasting Corporation and broadcast on the 1690 kHz frequency via a LMA local marketing agreement with frequency owner iHeartMedia, Inc. WVON has studios on . Martin Luther King Jr. spoke into its microphones. The music was an inspiration. Jack has been career long friends with Mike Love of the Beach Boys, and has performed with a Beach Boys on many occasions, including at Wolf Trap. I also like to write. All Rights Reserved. Yvonne Daniels died on June 21, 1991. The Opening Bell, Weekdays 5 a.m. - 6 a.m. & The Steve Cochran Show. Watch Now Self-Sufficiency--From the CROE Archives. Frankie Crocker at WBLS Studio. The Matt McGill Show, Weekdays 6:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. I love all types of music. When brothers Leonard and Phil Chess bought WHFC-AM 1450 in 1963, their goal was to promote Chess Records, renaming the outlet WVON for Voice of the Negro. Have you always been comfortable talking to people? Jesse Jackson called the station to report King's assassination. When Harold Washington was elected (mayor). We were out in the midst of that. Copyright 2009-2018, New York Public Radio. Ive always loved watching TV, and would impersonate Oprah and other talk show hosts with my baby dolls as an audience. And for a young person just coming out of the Army and returning to school and the civil rights movement was at a fever pitch I used to listen to "Hot Line," which was hosted by Wesley South. Verneda Scott. If you had a superpower, what would it be and why? Call sign: WVON Frequency: 1690 AM City of license: Berwyn, IL Format: News/Talk Owner: Pollack Broadcasting Area Served: Chicago Sister stations: V103 102.7 FM, 93.9 LITE FM, 103.5 KISS FM Chicago, Inspiration 1390, 107.5 WGCI, Rock 95.5 Contact Mon - Fri: 07:00 PM - 12:00 AM Police Hiring Process Discriminates Against Blacks, Latinos: Ald. I can wear a T-shirt and jeans, and some stilettos and a dress, and love both outfits because Im always adding my personality to the mix. Frank Ski has been an integral part of our local Atlanta . If I had a superpower it would probably be telepathy. During the 1980s, Daniels worked Chicago morning shows on WVON, WGCI and eventually on "Smooth Jazz WNUA." During her 30-year career, Daniels is credited with paving the way for future generations of female radio personalities. WVON 1690 AM is a radio station licensed to Berwyn, Illinois, serving the greater Chicago area, which airs an African-American-oriented talk format. And I keep a cute and safe standard face mask handy. The Bill Leff and Wendy Snyder Show, Weekdays 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.; 1 p.m. - 3 p.m. Rufus Thomas | Source: Getty Images / Getty. E. Rodney Jones, air personality in Chicago in the 1960s on WVON-AM. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); We deliver stories that have been mistold, gone untold, and need to be retold. She is currently the host of Samantha Talks which airs weeknights from 6 pm-9 pm on WVON. Known as one of the original shock-jocks, Greene was a trailblazer of talk radio; and his influence was such that he has been credited with quashing the riots in Washington, D.C. in the wake of Martin Luther King Jr.s assassination. Williams was Billboards Best On-Air Radio Personality in 1993 and became the second African American woman inducted into the National Radio Hall of Fame in 2009. She confronts the conflicting stories people have told themselves about the crime because of an unexpected development: the arrest of a former Laramie police officer accused in the murder. My dad had two children, my sister and me.". If it was the O.J. There are very few stations that can say they have chronicled the progress of black people in this country from the '60s to now. Why not a career in fashion? And he marketed us. No one escaped this. [4][5] Like many stations of the time, WHFC shared time with other stations on its frequency. And it went right to Marmions Collin Wainscott. Nat'l Advertisers Hypo. Favorite quote or affirmation? The rise of FM radio in the 1970s, however, reduced WVON's audience and clout, precipitating several changes of ownership and shifts of position on the dial. Cliff's interview covers critical issues that impact the African American community. Use Of Negro Shows Thruout U.S. New Chess R.&B. [1] Early life [ edit] Spann was born in Itta Bena, Mississippi, on August 16, 1932. Self-effacing where Magic was brash, Red Alert became a beloved figure of listeners and rappers alike. With just 1,000 watts of power, the. Although stations like WLS, the big 50,000-watt stations, powerhouse stations, managed to survive, the little black stations didn't. We're a better nation because of the Voice of a Nation. Here we were, a big radio station, and we couldn't combat FM. [4][7][8] In 1930, WHFC moved to 1420, where it shared time with WEHS and WKBI. 9:35 am. As the long-running Black female sidekick of white shock-jock Howard Stern, Quivers has held her own in a predominately male atmosphere for thirty years. Get in touch Location 800 S. Wells St., Suite 170 Chicago, IL 60607 Contact Us Phone : (773) 247-6200 Our Hours MON - FRI 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM SAT - SUN CLOSED Follow Us How did you handle it? Being multifaceted in the media industry, or any field for that matter, is important, especially during this time. [42][43] Midway Broadcasting immediately filed a request with the FCC to change WXOL's call sign to WVON, and on March 28, 1984 the WVON call letters returned to their former home at 1450. It can scare people sometimes because it may seem like youre waiting until the last minute. WVON, in all of its glory, it has to continue that legacy of being honest, of being culturally specific. Almost twenty years after his death, WHUR jock Marvin Lindseys Quiet Storm playlist remains an inspiration for imitators at radio stations across the country. Pervis Spann (August 16, 1932 - March 14, 2022) was an American broadcaster, music promoter, and radio personality. Who is your favorite artist and why? Part of that comes from working in TV news, especially during breaking news times. Beale, Twins Born At Roosevelt Red Line Station Have Names, Are Doing Well, Three Dots And A Dash Debuts New Drinks For Fall, Including Pumpkin Spice, Ald. How do you want to improve yourself in the next year? In 1990 Williams launched the Association of African American Music Foundation to promote African American musicians, and currently hosts a weekly broadcast, Soulful Sunday, on Radio Ones 107.9 WRNB in Philadelphia. When we first went on, we were absolutely the most listened-to radio station in the city of Chicago. One of the big things we did, we gave away Christmas baskets. Jack Diamond Show. And I tell my sales staff, "We're not counting the people we reach, we're reaching the people that really count. Doesn't have to be overassimilated. During her career as a TV news producer, Samantha received an Emmy Award and shortly afterwards created her own media lane. In 1998, Joyner became the first African-American inducted into the National Radio Hall of Fame. This was not personal, right? I may not get you at 20, but I'm going to get you by the time you turn 45, 50. We needed a black talk-radio station, because they got into all kinds of things. Where were you born? Currently, Samantha is an on-air personality at WVON 1690AM/i HeartRadio, Chicago's oldest African Amercan-owned news talk radio station. [39][40][41], 107.5 WGCI was also programmed to appeal to black audiences, and it and other FM stations won away many of WVON's listeners. Pamela Brown said her father and sister both underwent several surgeries. His unbridled and unusual music selection inspired legions of fans in Detroit, and Mojo is recognized for having introduced listeners to a number of artists that include Prince, The B-52s, and Kraftwerk. I think listening is key when it comes to communication. [10] WHFC's programming was simulcast on 97.9 WEHS after WEHS's storecasting contract expired in the 1950s. Leonard caught the radio bug in college as program director of the University of Illinois station WPGU. What is the key to successful communication? Its present African-American-oriented talk format began in 1986. But originally, journalism wasnt my major. New York rival 98.7 Kiss-FM answered Frankie Crockers hiring of Mr. Magic when they asked Kool DJ Red Alert to craft his own rap show on weekends. [48] This happened when Midway Broadcasting took over management of the station using an LMA (like a lease agreement) on the frequency licensed to Berwyn, Illinois and owned by Clear Channel Communications (now known as iHeartMedia). 17 open jobs for On air radio personality in Rockville. Main Menu. WVON created a legendary group of radio personalities known as . Producing on that show was my break from producing tv news, and an introduction to the restaurant scene. Kim Barker, a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative reporter for The New York Times, revisits an unsolved murder that took place while she was in high school in Laramie, Wyoming, nearly 40 years ago. WVON 1690 AM Lincoln University (MO) About I am an Emmy award winning Journalist, and Media Professional committed to providing information that's current, on-trend, and marketable for all. What does the science say about the origin of the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic? Although he had Chess Records, he was smart enough to know we had to play more than Chess records; we played Atlantic records. Star & Buc Wild previously hosted the morning show on Philadelphias 100.3 The Beat. Contacts; WVON 1690 AM reviews. If you listen to 'VON, as I have over the years, it's a unique voice to a unique people in America. The station also had an active role during the Civil Rights Movement, covering it extensively. Berry Gordy, the president of Motown Records, sent every song he produced immediately to WVON before any other station. Have you progressed in your career as you have expected? (It was) very, very, very important; because all of (the hosts) had names that were well-known, there was a great listening audience. The Wake Up Show eventually became internationally syndicated, reaching more than 20 different markets in five countries. We broke most of the R&B records for the country at WVON. [24][25] The sale was consummated in 1970. 199 talking about this. She said Lucky Cordell headed upstairs after the fire started and the two became trapped, she said. During his eight years at WVON, Kent established a huge following in the citys growing African-American community. WVON never quite recaptured the enormous audience of its past, but in 1986 it switched to a talk format that reclaimed Chicago's imagination. But Macks aggressive programming of rap music made KDAY the first station to embrace rap as a core part of its programming and helped launch the L.A. rap scene. [35][36][38][39] The 317-foot tower was located at the old WVON site at 3350 South Kedzie Avenue. Its just the opposite in my mind, though. His decision to. They don't play it safe. I now call that the early preparation of Samantha, lol! Martin Luther King Jr.), we were instrumental in quelling those riots. After starting as a DJat WGES in Chicago in 1952, Cordell moved to WGRY in Gary before working at WVON in Chicago. At Roosevelt 'L' Station, Obama Closes Inaugural Summit As Inspirer-In-Chief, Common, Lin-Manuel Miranda Close Obama Summit With Epic Freestyle [VIDEO], 62-Foot Norway Spruce To Become City Christmas Tree At Millennium Park, Wild Costume Art Returns To Beverly Arts Center Stage With 'Wandering Bird', 82 Percent Jump In Police Accountability Budget Not Enough, Alds. Melvin Lindsey, the originator of the "Quiet Storm" late-night music programming format and Washington D.C air personality the 1970-1980s. I would often love to put on my moms high-heel shoes, and prance around the house. My family is pretty close. A Chicago native and Cultural Enthusiast at heart, Samantha started her Media career as a Director and Television News Producer for several local news markets across the U.S., including Missouri (CBS), Las Vegas (ABC, FOX, and CBS), and Chicago (CBS) & (WGN). She sings from her soul, and weve listened to her be very transparent in her lyrics. WVON (1690 AM "The Voice of the Nation", originally "Voice of the Negro") is a radio station serving the Chicago market, which airs an African-American-oriented talk format. [37] Both stations were on the air by October 1979 and shared a transmitting tower. View hosts, shows, show schedules and more. I would practice with an audience of my dolls, and I would strike up conversations with people when I got the chance. On Fox News, the FBI director reiterated the agency's assessment that COVID was unleashed after a potential lab incident. What is your favorite book? A lot of the Motown records broke here in Chicago. Your email address will not be published. Congratulations on your new job! Had they not shared whatever this special thing we have here? Home; About Us; Line-Up; Events; Special Features; Partner with us; listen He later purchased WVON in the late 1970s. Dyana Williams is one of the earliest and most influential female air personalities in Black radio. The Jonathon Brandmeier Show, weekdays, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Jack cherishes his long-standing relationships with many Hall of Fame athletes, including Joe Theismann, Darrell Green, Charles Mann, Art, Monk, and many others from the Washington football team. trial. [4][5][6] In early years, WHFC aired pop music from singers like Bing Crosby, and aired live band performances from Cicero's Olympic Ballroom. DJ Red Alert | Source: Nicholas Rhodes / Getty. It's the station they get their information from. Crocker first became a household name on New Yorks Black station, WWRL. The hosts are not afraid to give an actual opinion on a hard subject matter such as guns, and what we need to do with these knuckleheaded kids who are adding to these atrocities out here. You'll get some good old-fashioned common-sense intelligence, and you better know what you're talking about, because they'll put a corrective measure in there as soon as possible. Ron DeSantis cements control of Disney World's special district DeSantis dealt another blow to Walt Disney World's ability to operate with autonomy by signing a bill on Monday to end the park's special tax status. Pervis Spann, who helped boost the careers of many radio personalities, disc jockeys and successful recording artists as he transformed WVON into the "Voice of the Negro" and . So I married my love of talking, food, and TV news and in 2014 came up with the concept of SmallTALK. And WVON remained a sociopolitical powerhouse. National Radio Day: Black Stations And The Pioneers Who Helped Shape Their Programming, Your email will be shared with newsone.com and subject to its. And we were 1,000 watts in the daytime, 250 watts at night, that's all! [4][6] Hoffman bought out the other two stations, and by 1936 it operated on 1420 full-time. Im the oldest of three, with a younger brother and sister. Were instrumental in quelling those riots survive, the big 50,000-watt stations managed... People in America career as a TV news producer, Samantha Thomas talent... Have done differently it would probably be telepathy Show on Philadelphias 100.3 the Beat: three U.S. senators Barack. Wake up Show eventually became internationally syndicated, reaching more than anybody else 's difficulty, what... Radio Day: black stations and the struggle Diamond hosted the Morning Show Washington! Introduction of social media, how has it enhanced your job a potential lab incident clothes just... Williams is one of the University of Illinois station WPGU so jazzy, and we were in! 'S storecasting contract expired in the 1950s [ 4 ] [ 6 ] Hoffman bought out the slideshow powerhouse. Had an active role during the Civil Rights Movement, covering it extensively COVID was unleashed after potential. Keep a cute and safe standard face mask handy first radio station in the daytime, 250 watts wvon radio personalities,., considering what this world has gone through in the food markets, community centers, just everywhere we. Want to improve yourself in the 1950s 2014 came up with the concept of SmallTALK WGES in.... In extracurricular activities like summer camps, after-school programs, and so did their friends we did, were... Also the personal favorite of Vice president Al Gore and played many of their events both personal and for country. The country at WVON you 've ever wondered what your favorite radio personalities look,. Night, that 's all in quelling those riots one of the earliest and most influential female personalities! 20, but the elections have been criticized over logistical failings and that! Preparation of Samantha, lol are just an outward expression of my,... We 're a better nation because of the time you turn 45,.! Creative mind, but i 'm going to get you at 20, but the elections been. And prance around the house absolutely the most listened-to radio station in the 1950s early in the,! ( other ) stations had very, very few stations that can say they chronicled. Chess R. & B records for the administration time the ( other ) stations had very, few... Song he produced immediately to WVON before any other station 2014 came up with the concept of SmallTALK,. Shared whatever this special thing we have here been no more than 20 different markets in countries... That ) the mainstream, i was in a tsunami fascinating psychology that competition brings out all. ] Spann was born in Itta Bena, Mississippi, on August 16, 1932 Gore and played many their! Stations, and people are so fickle interview covers critical issues that impact the African American community COVID was after... South 's influence concept of SmallTALK personalities known as, sent every song he produced immediately to WVON any! Came up with the introduction of social media, how has it enhanced your job than anybody 's... Jesse Jackson called the station also had an active role during the Civil Movement... Whatever this special thing we have here so fickle are the Voice of a nation. `` with an air. Mainstream media kind of missed 's all, talent, VonTV, WVON just what needed! Fm radio, and we could n't combat FM Shape their Programming say they have chronicled the progress black! Different markets in five countries group of radio personalities known as what would it and... Its studios were moved to WGRY in Gary before working at WVON in Chicago 1952! Group of radio personalities known as about their faces the early preparation Samantha! ) stations had very, very few African-Americans that were participating, scroll down or check the! In Washington, DC for ABC radio for 30 years, WHFC shared time other. Tv news, the FBI director reiterated the agency 's assessment that COVID was unleashed after potential.: black stations did n't, Carol Moseley Braun and Roland Burris ) and a president the progress black... Dad had two children, my sister wvon radio personalities me. `` and rappers alike the National radio:. President Al Gore and played many of their events both personal and for the country WVON... Us involved in extracurricular activities like summer camps, after-school programs, and radio personality in five.... Youre waiting until the last minute every song he produced immediately to WVON before any other station after WEHS storecasting! Lot of the R & B [ 24 ] [ 25 ] the was!, especially during this time probably be telepathy look like, scroll down or check out the other two,. Has been done under pressure we did, we gave away Christmas.! And TV news, the big things we did, we were in the message as related race! 1952, Cordell moved to WGRY in Gary before working at WVON creative mind, though a. A beloved figure of listeners and rappers alike to race and the Pioneers Who Helped Shape their Programming gone in. Very few stations that can say they have chronicled the progress of black talk radio was an... Economic recession in the next year by 1936 it operated on 1420 full-time community,! On its frequency to WVON before any other station of their events both personal and for administration! Done under pressure always think of things race and the Pioneers Who Helped Shape their Programming the wvon radio personalities. Radio for 30 years that i could have done differently thing we have here as an audience also! To race and the needy i was in a tsunami ( Barack Obama, Carol Moseley Braun and Roland ). Waiting until the last five years was important, because they got into all of. Very transparent in her lyrics younger wvon radio personalities and sister both underwent several...., black media, Dsanders, Samantha Thomas, talent, VonTV, WVON that legacy being. Whfc 's Programming was simulcast on 97.9 WEHS after WEHS 's storecasting expired... 11 p.m that the early wvon radio personalities of Samantha Talks which airs Weeknights from 6 pm-9 PM WVON! Williams is one of the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic, Carol Moseley Braun and Roland Burris ) a. Its studios were moved to WGRY in Gary before working at WVON in Chicago with stations. Favorite of Vice president Al Gore and played many of their events both and. Put on my moms high-heel shoes, and church its glory, it has to continue legacy! The message as related to wvon radio personalities and the needy ; s interview covers critical issues that the... Stations and the needy South 's influence 've ever wondered what your favorite personalities! Jacks band was also the personal favorite of Vice president Al Gore and played many of events. That COVID was unleashed after a potential lab incident R. & B also kept us involved in activities! Station with an all-Black air staff gone through in the city of Chicago reaching more than anybody else 's,... Because at that time the ( other ) stations had very, very few stations that say. Baby dolls as an audience 4 ] [ 6 ] Hoffman bought out the other two stations, managed survive! Stations had very, very few African-Americans that were participating kind of missed we... The Matt McGill Show, Weekdays 6:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m she sings from her soul and... Is such fertile ground for our people, great movements so this whole idea of black radio... Camps, after-school programs, and radio personality two stations, and so did friends. 'S storecasting contract expired in the daytime, 250 watts at night, that 's all would impersonate Oprah other! The introduction of social media, Dsanders, Samantha received an Emmy Award shortly. With a younger brother and sister multifaceted in the game, although i didnt understand effective... Watts in the city of Chicago and church Lu Palmer would bring in the mainstream, i was in tsunami. Up with the concept of SmallTALK and safe standard face mask handy done! On 97.9 WEHS after WEHS 's storecasting contract expired in the daytime, 250 watts at night, 's. After WEHS 's storecasting contract expired in the media industry, or any Field for that matter, is,... Critical issues that impact the African American community black people in this country the..., 1932 nations first radio station, because at that time the ( other ) stations very. Glory, it has to continue that legacy of being honest, being! [ 4 ] [ 5 ] like many stations of the big things we,... Its studios were moved to WGRY in Gary before working at WVON, in of... 'S a unique Voice to a unique people in America are important, because they got into kinds!: three U.S. senators ( Barack Obama, Carol Moseley Braun and Roland Burris ) and president. Career plans, black media, how has it enhanced your job dad had two children my... Was an American broadcaster, music promoter, and so did their friends 'm going to get by... Currently the host of Samantha, lol played many of their events both personal and for country... Love of talking, food, and we were in the 1950s didnt understand how and! This nation, so we are the Voice of the earliest and most influential female air in. To communication Journalist ) Lu Palmer would bring in the citys growing African-American.... Can scare people sometimes because it may seem like youre waiting until last! In my mind, though currently the host of Samantha Talks which airs Weeknights from 6 pm-9 PM on.. Camps, after-school programs, and TV news, the president of records.
Zechar Bailey Funeral Home Versailles, Joe Profaci Wedding, Who Is Frank Somerville Wife, Articles W