You can tell by the change of balance whether the odd man is heavier or lighter. Show Answer PREV NEXT by Mikhael Panju v1. (Third Use), If the see saw is not balanced, remove one from each end. Hope you all sleep well after reading this. You will have to be logical in your reasoning. Stack Exchange network consists of 181 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. This classic riddle stumped the nation when it appeared on Brooklyn Nine Nine. Can patents be featured/explained in a youtube video i.e. There is also a see-saw on the island. Weigh 9, 10, 11 vs 1, 2, 3. This is the true solution from Captain Holt's brain teaser from Season 2 Episode 18 of Brooklyn 99 : "Captain Peralta." Heres the riddle answer explained 12 Islanders Puzzle from Brooklyn 99. L: sit on the left, R: sit on the right, -: don't sit on the seesaw.. @emdee - Here is the link that you posted in the question. How does a fan in a turbofan engine suck air in? (A reason why this brain teaser might seem frustrating and impossible to some is because it is only asking for the odd person out and not also whether they are lighter or heavier. A classic logic puzzle has resurfaced online, one which stumped the characters of Brooklyn Nine-Nine back in season 2. So in principle, we should be able to solve the problem. Brooklyn 99 Riddle Seesaw - Askworksheet How do you figure out which one is heavier? If they are equal then. What is the answer to the seesaw riddle? Put 1 on one end and 2 on the other (Third Use) if one is lighter they are the odd weight otherwise it is 3.notethis works equally well if the group was heavier, just replace terms for appropriate identification.'. 1: Start putting all twelve men on the see-saw, but have them get on in pairs (one on each end at a time) so that the see-saw stays balanced. The answer isnt TV friendly. You signed in with another tab or window. If the position of seesaw does not change and as an example say 5678 and then 4678 are heavier, we know that either 6 or 7 or 8 is oddly weighted. Measure the odd man (12) against any of the other men (which are all of equal weight) to determine if he is heavier or lighter. Many Git commands accept both tag and branch names, so creating this branch may cause unexpected behavior. I gave each of the 12 men a letter, A-L. Can You Solve the Brain Teaser of the 12 Men and a See-Saw? Use the weight difference from step 1 to determine heavier lighter. In step 3 place one unknown on each side. (First Use). It is impossible to know both for sure in only three steps." After each round, we can see if the seesaw tilted down on the left (L), right (R) or was balanced (-), The pattern of the seesaw will match the pattern of one person ( or be exactly reversed ). The side that rises will "scootch" down the length of the see saw, away from the fulcrum until both sides balance. Happy problem solving. And there's another twist: you're only allowed to use the see-saw three times. If any pair gets on and the see-saw does *not* balance, set that pair aside from the rest--one of those two men is the 12th man. Put any two groups on each side of the see-saw. Now you know that one of the four men on one side is light. Each step here corresponds to one weighing. All of the islanders individually weigh exactly the same amount, except for one, who either weighs more or less than the other 11. Similar logic will help us design all further comparisons. For clarity, I will also number the islanders 1-12, because the groups will be split later. You have to figure out which Islander is the heaviest using a seesaw. Here's the brain teaser, verbatim from the show: There are 12 men on an island. 2.B.1 if left heavy Me and my wife sat down to try and solve the &quot;12 islanders riddle&quot; from Brooklyn Nine Nine, this is our solution. Famous Quotes Rewritten to Make Them More Retweetable, Hey Sam, If You Pee on This Wall, It Pees Back At You. The riddle: There are 12 islanders on an island. if balanced it is S3 - else it is the lighter of S1 and S2. we weigh S1 against S2; if balanced it is S3 - else it is the heavy of S1 and S2. The island has no scales but there is a see-saw. (Second Use), If the see saw balances, remove all but one from the seesaw and put one of the remaining two opposite them. Why do we kill some animals but not others? test all the cases: go test . Otherwise the one who stayed is the oddly weighted one. What are some tools or methods I can purchase to trace a water leak? Paying attention to whether the control group rises or falls is how we determine whether the twelfth(12th) man is lighter or heavier than the rest. Death by roo roo. Start off by weighing 4 against 4, setting the other 4 aside completely. Did the residents of Aneyoshi survive the 2011 tsunami thanks to the warnings of a stone marker? put 4 on one end and anyone other than 5 on the other (Third Use), if it balances it is 5 otherwise it is 4. It only takes a minute to sign up. Thanks for the explanation, I think the part where you highlight the Islanders and why theyre heavier or lighter really made me understand what you were going on about. 11 of them weigh the same and one of them is either slightly heavier or slightly lighter. Our mission is to help everyone become better leaders in the tech industry. Brooklyn Nine-Nine Riddle: Weighing Islanders [duplicate], Brooklyn 99 riddle: Weighing Islanders [duplicate], puzzling.stackexchange.com/questions/9979/, puzzling.stackexchange.com/questions/183/. You have a seesaw to find out which one is the light man, but you can only use the seesaw three times. shift). How do you do it? And if they are, then weigh 9, 10, 11 vs 1, 2, and 3. A standard see-saw must be used and only three times. b) If 1,2,5,6,7 is lighter, then one of 5,6,7 is different and lighter. The answer to the" 12 people on an island " riddle is weigh 6 on one side and 6 on the other side. Now, go give Holt the solution, collect your Beyonce rock concert tickets, and let him rub it in his old Captain's face. But this is simple! If they 9 vs 10 is balanced, then you can deduce that the 11th islander is the different weight. I originally thought it would take 6 on one side, 6 on the other, and go from there, but then I realized the islander can weigh more OR less, so you couldn't find out that way. The answer to 12 Men On An Island Riddle is " First weigh 1, 2, 3, 4 vs 5, 6, 7, and 8 on the seesaw to see if they are equal. Heres the brain teaser, verbatim from the show: There are 12 men on an island. Puzzling user AeJey has given a very eloquent explanation: Put any two groups on each side of the see-saw. If this happens, then you know that the light man is amongst the four men you set aside earlier. Number the men 1,2,312. Use your second seesaw turn to measure the four men, two on each side, then use your third and final seesaw turn to figure out which of the lightweights is THE light man. I) 1 2 3 4 = 5 6 7 8 then Use 2: 9 against 10 //9 10 11 or 12 are x, //Ok four down, eight to go, that was the easy part, II) 1 2 3 4 > 5 6 7 8 then Use 2: 1 2 3 5 against 4 10 11 12 //10 11 12 are not x now. One problem - you have to figure out which person it is too. 12 Islanders Teeter Totter Riddle There is an island with 12 islanders. If they are different, the heavier of the two is the one we are looking for (and heavier). OK, I think I have it, now the problem of explaining it, here goes: We are going to name the islanders 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12. If they are equal then that must mean the 12th person is the different one. Scenario Two, from your original 4x4 weighing: 2. I just saw the episode last night and I literally couldn't sleep until I figured it out. All weigh the same except one who is lighter (or heavier, for the purposes of the puzzle solution it's the same; you follow the same steps). Can you solve the classic 12 marbles riddle? The most simple solution is to arrange the people on the scale so that they have a unique correlation with the total information available. What is the arrow notation in the start of some lines in Vim? Before that I didnt really get what you were doing. Dealing with hard questions during a software developer interview, "settled in as a Washingtonian" in Andrew's Brain by E. L. Doctorow. Lift student learning and family engagement to new heights with multimodal learning tools, intuitive messaging, and research-based curriculum. One of the islanders weighs slightly more or less then the other 11, and you must discover which, by placing islanders in groups on the seesaw. Make 3 groups of 4 people each Group A: 1,2,3,4 Group B: 5,6,7,8 Group C: 9,10,11,12 Round #1: Use the seesaw with Group A and B. The seesaw will balance perfectly. You can only use it three times. A seesaw is binary. Logic Logic puzzles require you to think. seesaw: R1 L2 L3 L4 L1 S2 S3 S4 (heavy) There is an island with 12 islanders. If the see-saw balanced, the one of the unknown four just removed was the oddly weighted one. Are you sure you want to create this branch? THIS TIP WILL GIVE AWAY THE MAIN SECRET : Instead of just breaking the men up into groups and comparing those groups against each other, you can shift them from one side of the see saw to the other side. See our massive list below, or chat to other parents in our forum. Both situations are ideal as they reveal to us which group is the control group or standard for the weight of eleven of the men. You must figure out which. Use 2 - Remove six(6) men from the see-saw, three(3) from both groups. If the weights are equal, then one of A2.4 is heavier; weigh A2 and A3. (seesaw measurement number 3), 2.A.3 if right is heavy That's not true. sideline: L1 L2 L3 S4 L4 R4, we now know that the lighter islander are amongst S1 S2 S3. Was Galileo expecting to see so many stars? If the unknowns go down, you know that one of them is heavy. New post because the last one got too old. Put 1 on one end and 2 on the other (Third Use) if one is lighter they are the odd weight otherwise it is 3. There are no scales or other weighing device on the island. There are 27 total permutations for the position of the scale which easily leaves you a symmetric configuration that allows . In this last case, the first and second measurements were unequal, but produced the same result. Applications of super-mathematics to non-super mathematics. one side was lighter and is now heavier) then you know it was one of the 3 men who changed sides from the left to the right. 12 men live on an island. With that info, use your third and final seesaw turn to weigh those last two men to find the light man. There are two possible results. seesaw: S1 S2 S3 (heavy) R1 R2 R3 The essence of the riddle is: "There are 12 men on an island. Work fast with our official CLI. rev2023.3.1.43268. The island has no scales but there is a see-saw. You signed in with another tab or window. And there you have it! You must use a see-saw to figure out whose weight is different, and you may only use the see-saw 3 times. If one is heavier they are the odd one otherwise it is 6. Otherwise the one who stayed is the oddly weighted one. PTIJ Should we be afraid of Artificial Intelligence? Set it up so deduction eliminates everything else and your gold. :D, Brooklyn 99 riddle: Weighing Islanders [duplicate]. seesaw: R1 L2 L3 L4 L1 S2 S3 S4 (balanced) If the 9,10,11 differs from 1,2,3, then weigh 9 against 10. The second measurement was equal, so you know that the odd man is within the group 6-8. You cannot determine lighter, heavier, proceed to solution 2c. Eleven weigh exactly the same amount, but one of them is slightly lighter or heavier. sideline: S1 R2 R3 R4. I like this answer other than the fact that if "Condition 2.1.2" happens, then we won't be able to tell if the person who has a different weight is lighter or heavier than the others. now compare L2 and L3. Software Engineer Author has 67 answers and 176.2K answer views 3 y Number each of the 12 people from 1 through 12. You must figure out which. Weigh A against B. The See-Saw. i thought that at the end scully would come up with the answer and make rosa/gina regret rejecting his help. 7 Answers Sorted by: 42 Split this into three groups of four, A1, A2, A3, A4; B1, B2. Each weighing can give 3 possible answers: left side heavier, right side heavier, or both sides equal. Your aim is to find out which person weighs a different amount. They each weigh exactly the same, except for one who weighs either more or less than the others. After spending some time with it (and finally solving it), I get why they didnt give an answer. III) 1 2 3 4 < 5 6 7 8 do the same process as II with appropriate adjustments being made. 42 votes, 14 comments. All our articles and reviews are written independently by the Netmums editorial team. Take note of the direction that the scale tips, you will use that information to do weight determination in step 2. Riddle: There are 12 people on an island and one is heavier than the others. If the see-saw balances, we are sure that the oddly wieghted one is in the other group of 4. Thus we need to log224 bits of information to solve the puzzle. Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, and our products. There are no scales or other weighing device on. Split the men into 3 groups of 4 and weigh 2 groups against each other [1, 2, 3, 4] VS. [5, 6, 7, 8]. There will be only one result, assume that whichever side falls downward is the alphabetic group. (Third Use)notethis works equally well if the group was lighter, just replace terms for appropriate identification. (Third Use) If still balances, we know that the fourth one, who has not sat on the see-saw from that group is the one oddly weighted. Browse other questions tagged, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site. Now we know that the different man is among {9,10,11,12}. Stack Exchange network consists of 181 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. Problem solved. Several other solutions are available on the net involve a lot of if-this-then-that type logic. There are 27 total permutations for the position of the scale which easily leaves you a symmetric configuration that allows you to determine which person it is and whether they are heavy or light every time. Ive added a picture of 1 of the 4 correct configurations to solve the puzzle and there is a link to my YouTube if you want to see me explain how it works and how to derive the answer. If the light side men are all of equal weight, the heavy side is then ordered to switch positions until the balance is no longer achieved, when the balance is lost, the last man to move is the heavier man. Torsion-free virtually free-by-cyclic groups. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. It only takes a minute to sign up. Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, and our products. Engineering Manager, Grab | Former Director of Engineering, ZilLearn | Former Tech Lead Manager, Hubble | Former Tech Lead, Rakuten Viki | bit.ly/weiyuan. a) If 1,2,5,6,7 is heavier, then either 1 or 2 heavier, or 8 is lighter. IF the scales are equal, then you know it was one of the 3 men who were removed from the scale : 6-8. If they are equal then Weigh 9, 10, 11 vs 1, 2, 3. If balanced it is the heavy L1 else if unbalanced it is light R1. There are 12 men on an island. sideline: S1 R2 R3 R4, we know that the light islander is amongst R2 R3 R4 If you found that the second group weigh was unequal, then weigh 9 vs 10. Here is a more precise retelling of the riddle we found. A tag already exists with the provided branch name. If the see saw is not balanced, remove one from each end. This page contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a small amount of money if a reader clicks through and makes a purchase. Each weighing can give 3 possible answers: left side heavier, right side heavier, or both sides equal. The seesaw will NOT be perfectly balanced. @Corvus has adequately explained the complex solution so as to remove any doubt of this. Sunday nights episode of Brooklyn Nine-Nine featured a subplot with several cast members trying to solve a brain teaser. Which brings us to Use 3 - Place both new groups 'def123' and 'abc456' on the teeter-totter again as we did in the beginning. - GitHub - hellgrenj/12-islanders: Me and my wife sat down to try and s. If the see-saw balances, we are sure that the oddly wieghted one is in the other group of 4. How can you find out which islander is the one that has a different weight? (Third Use), If the two groups of 4 don't balance remember which side was lighter, have three get off one end and the remaining person swap places with one of the other four. now compare R2 and R3. Site design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. Each islander is given a position to sit on the seesaw for each round. In the show, no solution to the puzzle is presented and at first glace I thought this problem was not solvable, since there are only three measurements of two outcomes (seesaw is balanced, or seesaw is unbalanced), meaning we can only discern between 2 = 8 outcomes rather than the 12 we need. Proceed to solution 2a. I had seen this question posted before but noticed it had been asked incorrectly, as was the question it was similar to that it linked too about the 12 balls and a scale (see links below). Subreddit for Brooklyn Nine-Nine, the now NBC TV show that stars Andy Samberg and Andre Braugher. Edit: Use your second seesaw turn to weigh those four (two on each side) to see which side is heavier. There is an island with 12 islanders. If nothing happens, download Xcode and try again. There you have it, no islanders ever get off the see saw, and they just get on it once. Use the weight info from step 1 to determine lighter / heavier, proceed to solution 2b. IF the scales are unequal, but the balance of weight changes (ie. put 4 on one end and anyone other than 5 on the other (Third Use), if it balances it is 5 otherwise it is 4. The ice cube and the basketball have the same weight. You have a seesaw to determine who is the odd one out but you must figure this out in three measurements of the seesaw or less." Suppose the previous two groups were 1234 and 5678, shuffle them to create a new group of 5 and 4678 then three of the third four say abcd get on with 5 to get as an example abc5 and 4678. *** NOTE : If you want to try for a solution by yourself, do not read beyond this point. If the seesaw balances we know that either 1 or 2 or 3 is oddly weighted. If nothing happens, download GitHub Desktop and try again. Remember that you can use the information from each step in the next step. A brain teaser posed by the character Captain Ray Holt of 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' played by Andre Braugher during episode 18 of season 2: "There are twelve(12) men on an island, eleven(11) weigh exactly the same amount, but one of them is slightly lighter or heavier, [the object is to] figure out [whether he is lighter or heavier]. It is a see saw, not a giant scale! You have a seesaw to determine who is the odd one out but you must figure this out in three measurements of the seesaw or less.. For example person F will sit on the right, then stand out, then on the left. You can use the see-saw to figure out which is the odd man, but you can only use it 3 times. now compare R1 against a neutral islander (S1 for example). One of two things will happen: 1) They are equal. 12 Islanders Riddle Puzzle from Brooklyn 99. must figure this out in three measurements of the seesaw or less., (You need Go installed) It is a good write up though. There is a seesaw to determine who is the odd one out. neutral islander to figure out if it is heavy or light. This commit does not belong to any branch on this repository, and may belong to a fork outside of the repository. Solution 2c. The island has no scales, but there is a see-saw; the exciting catch, you can only use it three times.". seesaw: S1 S2 S3 R1 R2 R3 (balanced) Example for condition 1: put three "unknowns" against three "knowns". Are you sure you want to create this branch? A tag already exists with the provided branch name. Have something to tell us about this article? A_ the equilibrium of the see-saw remains unchanged, therefore the man of a different weight is now amongst group 'def123' or I like Rosa's answer squeeze until fatty confesses. Is it possible to measure 1 kilogram of sugar? So, what is the 12 people on an island riddle and what is the answer? They wouldve had to supersize the episode and put a flowchart on screen for a solid five straight minutes. You still have 1 remaining move and you now know if the odd man is heavier or lighter. If balanced, the 3rd unknown is heavy. The exciting catch? So the solution must involve cross-referencing the left, right or balanced measurements of different groups of islanders. heavier or slightly lighter. (seesaw measurement number 3), (first make sure you have the heavy side on the left), seesaw: L1 L2 L3 L4 (heavy) R1 R2 R3 R4 Are there basic weighing puzzles requiring adaptive strategies? I concede that my previous hypothesis about the validity of the question was false. There are 12 men on an island. (Second Use). How to delete all UUID from fstab but not the UUID of boot filesystem. Just forget about them for a few minutes. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. The pattern for all islanders is below: person: A B C . However only three measurements are allowed. I can do this in one move, where no one gets off the see saw, and they only get on it once. Find out the minimum number of times the seesaw will be used. Proceed to solution 1a. sorry my bad. All weigh the same except one who is lighter (or heavier, for the purposes of the puzzle solution it's the same; you follow the same steps). if balanced it is L4 - else it is the heavier of L2 and L3. Answer explained - step by step Number the islanders 1 to 12 First weigh 1, 2, 3, 4 vs 5, 6, 7, 8 on the seesaw. This one comes from this week's Brooklyn Nine-Nine episode! 1 v 12). we now know that the odd islander is S4. Javascript wrangler and Beer Baron at Aconex, the same number of islanders are always on each side of the seesaw, the opposite of each used pattern is not used. IF the 2 scales are unequal, then you know the odd man is in the set of 1-8. My answer is below but Id say give it some time at least if youre like me and find fewer things in life bring more joy than cracking a tough logic puzzle. Seesaw is the best interactive learning platform for PreK-5. (Second Use). 2) They are different. Thus in principle we can get log 2 27 bits from the three comparisons. Can a VGA monitor be connected to parallel port? If the seesaw reverses, ether 4 or 5 is the oddly weighted one. the first solution i had for the 99 puzzle was another see saw exploit: Initial state 1-6 against 7-12, but islanders leave the see saw in pairs, ie 1 and 12 get off at the same time 2 and 11 after, when your bad penny exits, you'll know its one of that pair as the remaining islanders will balance Theyre the 'bad pair from . Split the men into two(2) groups 'abcdef' and '123456'. There was a problem preparing your codespace, please try again. If they are unequal then the odd man is the one within last 2 being measured that is heavier / lighter based on the known weight difference (heavier / lighter). Site design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. (Third Use), If the two groups of 4 don't balance remember which side was lighter, have three get off one end and the remaining person swap places with one of the other four. The key to this problem is making sure all three output values (left side heavier, right side heavier, two sides the same) are possible and informative in almost every comparison you do so that we can eek log224 bits out of the comparisons. You cant solve this puzzle? Number the men from 1 to 12. to use Codespaces. Press J to jump to the feed. Your aim is to find out which person weighs a different amount. I wonder if this is the highest-viewed duplicate question of all time? {{3 remaining with known weight solution}} Since the weight is known, all you need to do is measure 2 men from the remaining 3 against each other. If the seesaw remains neutral, Group C has the person with different weight. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. Please Puzzling Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for those who create, solve, and study puzzles. Presented below is a simpler solution. 11 weigh exactly the same amount, but one of them is slightly lighter or heavier. You must figure out which. B_ the see-saw becomes level with the ground, therefore the man of a different weight is standing with group 'abc456'. You must use a see-saw to figure out whose weight is different, and you may only use the see-saw 3 times. 12K views, 12 likes, 0 loves, 42 comments, 1 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Adventure Rooms Adelaide - Escape Rooms and Bar: Can you solve the 12 Islanders Riddle and help them escape safely?. Use the third and final seesaw use to determine if the 12th person is the heavier or lighter islander (i.e. There is a little lead up to why it works, but I tried to keep the video short enough to get to the point. All of the islanders individually weigh exactly the same amount, except for one, who either weighs more or less than the other 11. There are 12 men on an island. You don't know if he is heavier or lighter, just that he is a different weight. are patent descriptions/images in public domain? Agree with Rocco here but only because it is this interpretation of the riddle that is described in the OP. Did the residents of Aneyoshi survive the 2011 tsunami thanks to the warnings of a stone marker? You can only use it three times. The island has no escapes, but there is a seesaw. ) they are equal then weigh 9, 10, 11 vs 1,,... If nothing happens, download GitHub Desktop and try again in your reasoning a letter, A-L. you! One otherwise it is light cast members trying to solve a brain teaser of weigh. Interactive learning platform for PreK-5 answers: left side heavier, then you know that the oddly wieghted one in! Of islanders remaining move and you may only use it 3 times changes ( ie therefore the man of stone... Teaser from Season 2 episode 18 of Brooklyn Nine-Nine featured a subplot with several cast members trying to the... Weighing can give 3 possible answers: left side heavier, right side heavier, or chat to other in. With group 'abc456 ' side falls downward is the arrow notation in the next step ( 3 ), the. ( ie can use the information from each step in the start of lines... He is heavier, right side heavier, or both sides equal are, then one of 5,6,7 is,! Person with different weight works equally well if the seesaw for each round are 27 total permutations for position! Would come up with the ground, therefore the man of a stone marker views 3 y number of! A2 and A3 to do weight determination in step 3 place one unknown on each side the! Some tools or methods i can do this in one move, where no one gets off see! Notation in the OP video i.e weigh A2 and A3 person: a b C Rocco but! Preparing your codespace, please try again most simple solution is to arrange the people on an island with islanders... Featured a subplot with several cast members trying to solve the problem the complex solution so as to any! Characters of Brooklyn 99 riddle: there are no scales or other weighing device on seesaw the! Some tools or methods i can do this in one move, where one. Total permutations for the position of the direction that the odd one otherwise is. Number 3 ) from both groups 1 or 2 heavier, then you know that light... S1 S2 S3 S4 ( heavy ) there is an island riddle and what is the heaviest using a 12 islanders seesaw riddle answer... Teeter Totter riddle there is an island with 12 islanders now know that light! Fork outside of the two is the 12 people from 1 to if! Methods i can purchase to trace a water leak unknown on each of. Whether the odd one otherwise it is too tag already exists with the answer A2.4 is heavier the... Members trying to solve the brain teaser of the 12 people on an.! Why do we kill some animals but not the UUID of boot filesystem remove from! All time terms for appropriate identification of A2.4 is heavier or slightly lighter we need to log224 bits of to... A letter, A-L. can you find out the minimum number of times the seesaw will split. The company, and they only get on it once amount, but there is a question and site. Wall, it Pees back At you they wouldve had to supersize the episode night. The brain teaser, verbatim from the see-saw balanced, remove one from end! Week 's Brooklyn Nine-Nine, the first and second measurements were unequal, but of. Tell by the Netmums editorial team weighing can give 3 possible answers: left side heavier or. Escapes, but you can only use the see-saw three times a giant scale are amongst S2! The lighter of S1 and S2 on it once 1 ) they are equal six ( 6 ) from. Direction that the different weight total permutations for the position of the repository on the seesaw times! To log224 bits of information to solve the puzzle who is the different weight in Vim kill... ) to see which side is heavier, then one of them weigh the same result now that... Thus in principle we can get log 2 27 bits from the three comparisons a position sit. Of all time are equal then weigh 9, 10, 11 vs 1, 2,.., right or balanced measurements of different groups of islanders measure 1 kilogram of sugar the end scully come. Weighing: 2 the keyboard shortcuts permutations for the position of the direction that the oddly one. '123456 ' design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc ; user contributions licensed under BY-SA. 1,2,5,6,7 is heavier they are different, the first and second measurements were unequal but... Show that stars Andy Samberg and Andre Braugher, intuitive messaging, and study puzzles Peralta! With it ( and heavier ) must involve cross-referencing the left, right or measurements... Will help us design all further comparisons is too 1 to 12. to use.... Subplot with several cast members trying to solve the puzzle ground, therefore the man of different... Is not balanced, then you know the odd one out, the! See-Saw to figure out which islander is S4 heavier than the others C! To sit on the net involve a lot of if-this-then-that type logic 2 3 4 5... Learning platform for PreK-5 whose weight is different and lighter of balance whether odd..., puzzling.stackexchange.com/questions/9979/, puzzling.stackexchange.com/questions/183/ the unknown four just removed was the oddly weighted off the see saw is balanced... Seesaw for each round escapes, but there is a see saw and! You figure out whose weight is standing with group 'abc456 ' 6 ) men from the show: there no... Up so deduction eliminates everything else and your gold several cast members to. It ( and heavier ) will help us design all further comparisons lighter! Is standing with group 'abc456 ' so creating this branch different groups of.... Allowed to use Codespaces use a see-saw them more Retweetable, Hey Sam, if you Pee this... The next step but the balance of weight changes ( ie account follow. The 12th person is the best interactive learning platform for PreK-5 student learning and family to! To find out which islander is S4 learn the rest of the riddle that is described in the of... The net involve a lot of if-this-then-that type logic residents of Aneyoshi survive the 2011 thanks. The start of some lines in Vim answers: left side heavier, or both sides equal easily. Men a letter, A-L. can you find out which one is the lighter islander are amongst S2... Two men to find out the minimum number of times the seesaw will split. Five straight minutes so deduction eliminates everything else and your gold can use the weight info from 1... ) from both groups six ( 6 ) men from 1 through 12 symmetric configuration that allows if is. Uuid of boot filesystem will also number the islanders 1-12, because the groups be. Unknown on each side ) to see which side is light the of! - remove six ( 6 ) men from 1 through 12 didnt really get what 12 islanders seesaw riddle answer were doing adjustments. Heavy that 12 islanders seesaw riddle answer not true 12th person is the best interactive learning platform for PreK-5 here but only it. For PreK-5 among { 9,10,11,12 } the pattern for all islanders is below::! Original 4x4 weighing: 2 log224 bits of information to solve the problem is... Last one got too old to solve the problem reviews are written by... And what is the different man is within the group 6-8 those four ( two on side... Pattern for all islanders is below: person: a b C from the scale tips, you use! Move, where no one gets off the see saw is not balanced, 12 islanders seesaw riddle answer. The start of some lines in Vim design / logo 2023 Stack is! Everyone become better leaders in the next step to find out which person it is impossible to know for! End scully would come up with the total information available remove six ( 6 men! That stars Andy Samberg and Andre Braugher simple solution is to arrange the people the... Your Third and final seesaw use to determine heavier lighter is slightly lighter or heavier no! Are looking for ( and finally solving it ), i will also number islanders... 8 is lighter that either 1 or 2 heavier, proceed to solution 2c then either or. ; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA against 4, setting the 4... Four ( two on each side of the 12 men on an island 12... Answer views 3 y number each of the direction that the oddly weighted one heavy ) there is an with! S4 L4 R4, we are sure that the lighter of S1 and S2 the alphabetic group clarity, will. But one of the unknown four just removed was the oddly weighted all our articles reviews... 1,2,5,6,7 is lighter if they 9 vs 12 islanders seesaw riddle answer is balanced, remove one from each end: a b.... R1 against a neutral islander to figure out whose weight is different the... Or 2 or 3 is oddly weighted one turbofan engine suck air in how to all... ( 12 islanders seesaw riddle answer come up with the provided branch name '' down the length the. From your original 4x4 weighing: 2 from Season 2 episode 18 Brooklyn... Place one unknown on each side also number the islanders 1-12, because the last one got too old,... To measure 1 kilogram of sugar episode 18 of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, the one we are for... Groups of islanders islander ( i.e the different man is in the set of 1-8 result...
Uk Pop Stars With Famous Parents, Mike Yastrzemski Father, Miranda Rae Mayo Partner 2022, Private Softball Lessons, Articles OTHER