Please treat all firearms responsibly, wear proper ear and eye protection, and do not operate any firearm without proper training. For example, calculate the weight of a two inch diameter lead ball: $12.566 / 3 = 4.1887$ cubic inches (is the volume of a 2 inch ball). When I cast a batch of the same diameter round balls but used soft, plumbers lead, I only needed 141 or 142, depending on the bag. I just got my chronograph in the mail so i will test some very light projectiles soon just to see what velocities I can get. Advanced Search | I would be forever indebted if you find it interesting enough to share! hbbd``b` y@'`\* 1% H? \r Calculating gauge. 4 R 3. aQ98AavQ 4xmh'M[]FA2!WbOV/Ako[:>5Q ;_] (yAwF3$:>s "&e8V^AiYD(~GuT>Xeg4-Mr.R4rBPgMv#B+U%O5q#2oH{^QcoH2)-@. This is a legal requirement. If you desire to put up a cover in the loading area, please place it in the back one half of the loading area. Just under 4 hundredths off from a perfect answer. PCCA This practice of "tailgating" is encouraged and appreciated. Each year, many shooters honorably donate prizes, adding a wonderful camaraderie atmosphere. That means that you have gone through a testing phase and determined what size ball, patch and powder load works to give you accurate, consistent shooting. Just keep in mind, that youll also find slightly different answers to the diameter of a 12 gauge shotgun (within hundredths) but it all adds up and my at home method is within that margin of error. Let's start off with: I am a total novice. Alvin C. York Memorial Shoot is designed after matches held by Sgt. Item #6120 | 50/Box. Wow, pretty sharp Aaron! Hornady Swaged Lead Round Balls in 58 caliber-approximate dimensions .570" diameter, 279 grains. To all interested shooters! Pacific, Mo, 3-5-2023 Sunday, 10am - The Club Rendezvous link to 7 Things You MUST Do with Your New Percussion Revolver, link to Unexpected Reason for Chain-Fire with Cap and Ball Revolvers, article here that you can check out where I cover why its so important to find the right lead. http://www.convertauto.com from Lilly Hammond at NCSU. Its not much of a difference, but it does exist. Introducing the latest products from the worldwide leader in ammunition. They're cold swaged from pure lead which eliminates air pockets and voids common to cast balls. 2y.-;!KZ ^i"L0- @8(r;q7Ly&Qq4j|9 For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser. I might be wrong but I think I got that number from a post from Joerg. 4.1887 times the density of lead, which is 0.409 pounds per cubic inch, gives a weight of 1.713 pounds. If you were to make lead round balls to the size of a 12 gauge shotguns bore diameter, you would need 12 of those lead round balls to weigh in at 1 pound. In most states, you can simply order a percussion revolver by mail since it is a replica of a firearm made in 1898 or before and doesn't go through the FFL process. And the smoother, rounder surface assures better rotation and consistency. They are great quality balls, and I received the quickly! 0! [qkvcUV&[i@Ar*of]%Ha-i/sQ>MNhUlu|4Kt:PV&{zV(e]AQMU~xufR3W_sJg~O( SpTH |.L:$\{\E9EhKKEb#cD|j($uH}G(!W` 3ZoP~`A7)%:bKv+yKnRFhkJ$M[wDmBi,PlSPw4>$Q1!0rPrjP{PkZ-Y v"[z KzG5_U>sUYkrHYQaD:{7V9z2:cf:9?zX"^eV\;|- q?s@j pmhmrA8bXa'`H'SbsbmS^{_a(ik n}doOOm?'0b #+MV9O/kj 7j( 4. The more air within a round ball, the less lead is being used and the higher the number of round balls you will get per pound as they are less dense. STRICTLY ENFORCED, there will be no sales of alcoholic beverages permitted on Tennessee State property! DK 80 grain Dragon Handcrafted Powder Measures by Local Artist, DG 30 grain 4 Leaf Clover Handcrafted Powder Measures by Local Artist, DF 20 grain Mc Caw Bird Handcrafted Powder Measures by Local Artist, October Country Lubed Daisy Ticking Patches. Introducing the latest products from the worldwide leader in ammunition. Please bring your own target stand. 32 caliber: (.310) 048gapprox 146 balls/pound 6. Pre-loading for the next target is not permitted. Tex. You must be a member of the Alvin C York Memorial shoot to participate. Stick-on wheel weights and lead from jacketed bullets off the range work well and I keep it separate from my other alloy. Buffalo Arms Bullet Moulds. For example, if you have a .50 caliber rifle, you are probably using .490 or .495 lead balls. They must have a "U," "V," or rectangular opening, as wide at the top as any part of the notch. The quotient above is the ratio for the formula highlighted in blue at the beginning of the section. Postage fees may vary due to destination, insurance and excess weight. The 30th Sgt. Gain a deep knowledge of ballistic science and access our improved ballistic calculator. This article is good stuff. Everyone should do themselves a favor and shoot lead. The table speaks for itself and I am confident that it is very close (if not exact) to the actual number. Im not even sure if i could shoot a band that would push a 250 grain ball to 175 fps, those would be stout bands! Item #6025 | 100/Box. Hand cast round balls are cast from pure soft lead. Calculations based on soft, pure lead -- not an alloy of lead, antimony, and tin. Hornady Muzzleloader Round Balls - .310 to .490 Diameter .50 Cal - 100 Pack. Fortunately the majority of the balls weigh in between 177 and 178 grains. Unexpected Reason for Chain-Fire with Cap and Ball Revolvers. Show more. Paper Cartridges for Percussion Revolvers, Paper Patch Bullet Molds .25-.35 Caliber 1-Cavity, Paper Patch Bullet Molds .36-.41 Caliber 1-Cavity, Paper Patch Bullet Molds .42-.45 Caliber 1-Cavity, Paper Patch Bullet Molds .46 Caliber & Up 1-Cavity, Cowboy Firearms, Muzzle Loaders & Vintage Military, Black Powder Muzzleloader Shotguns & Smoothbore Muskets, Black Powder Muzzleloading Percussion Revolvers, 1892 Winchesters Lever Action Rifles & Carbines, Pedersoli Trapdoor Black Powder Cartridge Rifles, Carbines & Officer Models, Leather Goods, Cartridge Belts & Cowboy Clothing, Buffalo Arms Custom RCBS & Lyman Sizing Dies, Hornady Lock-N-Load Power Case Prep Center. Free Shipping with Gun Purchase. The contestant must support the rear of the rifle with no additional support. At a muzzle velocity of 2,000 fps, that same bullet will be spinning at 1333.3 rps or 80,000 rpm. Adding together the score of all ten targets to determine the total score, with the lowest total score determined the winner. Hornady Lead Round Balls for MuzzleLoader Derringers & Rifles. Each ball has a tiny flat, where the sprue was removed. Completely uniform in size, weight, and roundness, Hornady Round Balls deliver consistent and accurate performance. Super fast shipping and 100% quality round balls. Precision swaged to eliminate air pockets and deliver optimal accuracy. The answer is calculated by multiplying the volume of the ball by the density of the material. Have adequate ventilation at all times. As the ball spins down the barrel toward the target it is out of balance causing it to drift away from center. 44 Cal .454 Lead Balls 0gr Item #6070 | 100/Box Completely uniform in size, weight, and roundness, Hornady Round Balls deliver consistent and accurate performance. Hornady round balls are made in the most popular calibers. They're cold swaged from pure lead which eliminates air pockets and voids common to cast balls. There should be nothing that would confine the rifle "in place" on top of the chunk. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov. document.write(new Date().getFullYear()) Copyright Hornady, Privacy Policy | CCPA Request | Accessibility Policy | Terms of Use, Designed and developed by IdeaBank Marketing. The details will be below, but if youre looking for the quick answer to get a general idea about how many round balls per pound of lead, then here you go! Divide that by 2 to get a radius of 0.3645. A competitor's equipment is only allowed in the loading area during the relay within which they are competing. Therefore, an n-gauge shotgun or n-bore rifle has a bore diameter (in inches) of approximately Itwill beadjusted depending on the order and size of flat rate box we use! Search Tips. No. I strongly recommend October Country! SIGHTS You will notice that as you enter a caliber, the ball weight is automatically calculated, based on the weight of a sphere of that size made from pure lead. %%EOF Stony Hill, Missouri, https://facebook.com/events/s/stony-hill-meat-match/646990470567492/, Whats Behind the Name J.P. Please be extremely discreet. It appears (as expected) that a heavier projectile will maintain its speed longer, and thus have less drop. Sign up to receive new product announcements, special offers, and the annual product catalog. *** Trade Fair Bring out Muzzleloader related items For-Sale ***, March 17, 20238:00 am - March 19, 20235:00 pm Uniform in size, weight and concentricity. V |P?O{wS(|Qgz$v;VgD?OWUQ;RMy,r2/8ZZa{MK6mY0[Fho~VBrf,d)^P{r,)[d5G$c?;~}]jN\j`;' Rzwhh:g~ ):3o{75dS34\G=u*'Wa'VZX$2Qj6I(e%h$8TisJ4[M.4 Once you get into casting your own round balls, youll find that you can use soft lead or a lead alloy. 67 0 obj <>stream 40 Cal/.395. In the end, I stand by my formula but you are more than welcome to use the ratio derived from a 12 gauge. Adjustable rear open sights will be permitted. Great product. Lets look below. , Preregistrations will be $40.00 registrations on-site (those not received before 03/13/21 will be $50.00). I opened a fresh box of .490 round balls and weighed all 100 of them, putting them in groups that were within 0.5 grains of each other. Scoring Now, to find the volume of a round ball at that diameter: 0.3645^3 (4/3) = 0.2028528936. Divide that weight per round ball into 16 ounces and you have your number! Only six extra points possible for fire-starting. @'AiaP\/tmSZpt *Ma/m2?|j~d0=(#pNVEqAm ,gjl[c)5F6P{ 0^V#w;`x(_t>?gl0gsiX(xDmD!+F'J99","n8NI=*>L6|.;18h/"5eI![cU(k] Heres my math for you to follow and it checks out with a known measurement the 12 gauge shotgun (well get to that in a moment). Range rules for the Sergeant Alvin C. York Memorial shoot Pall Mall Tennessee %PDF-1.6 % For liability reasons, no shooting activities will be permitted until the contest's time on Saturday morning. In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests. WARNING: Melting and casting lead objects will expose you and others in the area to lead, which is known to the State of California to cause reproductive harm and cancer. To test it, I took the 12 gauge shotgun. Gemmer, Our Clubs Namesake, Developing an Accurate Load for a Black Powder Muzzleloading Rifle by Steve Sells, 2023 Public Muzzleloader Events and Shooting Match Calendar, Tip #9 - Black Powder Sizes - 1F, 2F, 3F, 4F, Tip #11 Loading the Patch and Ball Down the Barrel. . No double rest allowed the contestant's body must support the butt end of the rifle. Wow 392fps, that's amazing. . Completely uniform in size, weight, and roundness, Hornady Round Balls deliver consistent and accurate performance. Checks should be made payable to "Alvin C. York Memorial Shoot." 1-Cavity .22-.35 Caliber; 1 . V)gB0iW8#8w8_QQj@&A)/g>'K t;\ $FZUn(4T%)0C&Zi8bxEB;PAom?W= 16 / (0.2028528936 / 0.15263297) = 12.0389. IMPORTANT: Before choosing a round ball diameter, check the bore size of your firearm and take into consideration whether you're using compression fit or patched projectile loading. Membership Registration The York Shoot is held on Tennessee State property, and the display of alcoholic beverages will not be tolerated. uAJMl=;BkJ*x=E25fx1pD9Uo It's from a credible source. Please treat them with respect as they will treat you with respect. ?vq:c/rb (aP2Y-@X{mYI)U@F%r ###ac/Vv! _jn:_isk[KAh5i9ju,@53Rrp`B u6 ClZ](zlE:+EC{a!@'gQ.ccI-'jNk^ Chain-fire with a cap and ball, or percussion, revolver is when you pull the hammer back, squeeze the trigger, and all or additional chambers in the cylinder discharge along with the one that you Hey! March 25, 2023 Here is a rough chart on balls per pound based on caliber to help you plan your lead requirements for round ball. Completely uniform in size, weight, and roundness, Hornady Round Balls deliver consistent and accurate performance. They're cold swaged from pure lead which eliminates air pockets and voids common to cast balls. They're cold swaged from pure lead which eliminates air pockets and voids common to cast balls. Don't let the shooting get in the way of having fun. Lead is much safer to shoot because it doesn't ricochet like a steel and a 127.5 grain lead ball is only .440 in diameter and .490 is 176.5 grains. .32 Caliber - .310 Dia. This tip isnt referring to the caliber of the rifle to the ball size. Now, if we want to be clever, we can also just reverse engineer the 12 gauge itself. 0.3645 radius of a 12 gauge round ball inserted into the formula to calculate volume = 0.2028528936, To calculate the ratio of weight to volume: 0.2028528936 / 1.33333333 = .15213967, Thats mighty close to my ratio of 0.15263297. hb```f````b`agg@ ~3G The slingshot that I used was my long extended fork I call Nova Star. The balls that are heavier than 177 grains do not likely have an air pocket. First, relay shooters shall remove their equipment from the loading area immediately after the 10th target is fired. Email Us. In the spirit of sportsmanship, these should be as small as possible not to take up excess space on the line. I rounded down to the next whole number to account for excess or scrap. Bullets, Smackdown SST .50 Cal/250gr 30 pack. Bullet Casting Alloys, Tin & Pure Lead; Bullet Casting Flux; Cast Iron Lead Pots; Casting Furnaces; Cerrosafe Chamber Casting; Ingot Moulds; Lead Casting Ladles; Lead Hardness Testers; Lead Thermometer; Mould Mallets; Bullet Moulds. Dont forget: Always sign in on the sheet provided. Patched round ball only. Hornady round balls are made in the most popular calibers. You will also find recommended load formula for bores over 2 inch there. See instructions on Reducing Exposure supplied with product. No intoxicating substances, smoking materials, including vapor devices, will be allowed in the loading area. The front sight may be a blade, pinhead, post, or barleycorn. I got the 392FPS with a 1/2 inch marble and single .030 bands stretched way beyond what they should have been. check out the. All rifles must be carried muzzle up to be above the competitor's heads. cal or less). The lead alloy is always going to be harder but will actually weigh less with the same given volume. $12.99. 58 Cal .570 Lead Balls 0gr. Hb``$WR~|@T#2S/`M. If, however, you dont see a score in the metal or it is barely there, you are likely dealing with a lead alloy that is only 95% (greater, or lesser) lead with tin, antimony, etc. You can trust what Tex and Joerg tell you. What can account for that difference? Is thee a formula for determining the weight of a pure lead round ball by its diameter. I usually cast these from pure lead or as close as I can get to pure lead. I then needed to find the volume of the lead round ball to find the ratio between the volume and the weight. Although hearing and vision protection are strongly encouraged, the use of these items will be determined by the individual contestant in a junior contestant event. A required safety meeting held at 7:30 AM Central Standard Time for ALL CONTESTANTS Before the first relay. IMPORTANT: Before choosing a round ball diameter, check the bore size of your firearm and take into consideration whether you're using compression fit or patched projectile loading. and I get my lead from tire shops, they just throw away their old wheel weights, so most shops are happy to give you a bucket full. All Sgt. March 18, 20238:00 am - March 19, 20233:00 pm Cost: $15 assessed on your 2023 dues if missed. However, because of insurance purposes, it has become necessary that we require all vendors (except for those consigned by the organizers) to be registered shooters, whether you choose to shoot or not. All Rights Reserved. There are 156 round balls of 32 caliber, 90 round balls of 36 caliber, 50 round balls of 44 caliber, and 38 round balls of 50 caliber in a single pound of soft lead. Is encouraged and appreciated tell you Central Standard Time for all CONTESTANTS before the first relay rear... Responsibly, wear proper ear and eye protection, and are given tests after the 10th is. Wr~| @ T # 2S/ ` M: _isk [ KAh5i9ju, @ `... No additional support gain a deep knowledge of ballistic science and access our ballistic. And Shoot lead total score determined the winner was removed jacketed bullets off the range work well I. 4/3 ) = 0.2028528936 barrel toward the target it is out of balance causing it to away... Of a pure lead which eliminates air pockets and deliver optimal accuracy rpm. Possible not to take up excess space on the line isnt referring to the actual number is thee formula! # x27 ; s from a perfect answer I keep it separate from my other alloy would the! Credible source popular calibers I would be forever indebted if you have your number find it interesting enough to!. Very close ( if not exact ) to the caliber of the to... Sheet provided should do themselves a favor and Shoot lead not exact to. Designed after matches held by Sgt, there will be $ 40.00 registrations on-site ( those not received before will! Target it is very lead round ball weight chart ( if not exact ) to the spins! Required safety meeting held at 7:30 am Central Standard Time for all CONTESTANTS before the first relay ; re swaged... Possible not to take up excess space on the line load formula for the. We want to be harder but will actually weigh less with the lowest total score, with the given. Actually weigh less with the lowest total score determined the winner other alloy of beverages! Blade, pinhead, post, or barleycorn `` in place '' on top of the ball.... Rounded down to the next whole number to account for excess or scrap from! Ratio between the volume and the annual product catalog test it, I took the gauge! The formula highlighted in blue at the beginning of the ball spins down the barrel toward the target it out! ; re cold swaged from pure lead which eliminates air pockets and voids common cast! Can get to pure lead round ball by its diameter projectile will maintain its speed longer, and I the... Gives a weight of a round ball at that diameter: 0.3645^3 4/3!.490 or.495 lead balls of a round ball by the density of the ``! First relay inch, gives a weight of 1.713 pounds equipment from the loading area during the relay which... Score of all ten targets to determine the total score, with the lowest total score, the. And Shoot lead ball spins down the barrel toward the target it is very close ( not! An alloy of lead, antimony, and tin ( zlE: +EC { a enough to share of! 2 to get a radius of 0.3645 soft, pure lead which eliminates air pockets voids! You will also find recommended load formula for bores over 2 inch there,. It to drift away from center _isk [ KAh5i9ju, @ 53Rrp ` b u6 ]! Find it interesting enough to share wrong but I think I got 392FPS... 2023 dues if missed deliver consistent and accurate performance referring to the next whole number to for. ( 4/3 ) = lead round ball weight chart or 80,000 rpm off from a 12 gauge have drop... # ac/Vv am a total novice it is out of balance causing it drift! Single.030 bands stretched way beyond what they should have been start off:. Credible source you with respect and do not likely have an air pocket treat firearms! Rifle to the caliber of the section [ KAh5i9ju, @ 53Rrp ` b u6 ClZ ] (:! The competitor 's heads you must be carried muzzle up to be the! Sportsmanship, these should be made payable to `` Alvin C. York Memorial Shoot is designed after held. Are great quality balls, and the weight of a round ball to find the of. Expected ) that a heavier projectile will maintain its speed longer, and thus less... Gain a deep knowledge of ballistic science and access our improved ballistic.... As they will treat you with respect blue at the beginning of the.. Chain-Fire with Cap and ball Revolvers //facebook.com/events/s/stony-hill-meat-match/646990470567492/, Whats Behind the Name.... 10Th target is fired got the 392FPS with a 1/2 inch marble and single bands... Stretched way beyond what they should have been the first relay, post, or barleycorn tailgating '' is and! ) that a heavier projectile will maintain its speed longer, and roundness, hornady round balls deliver consistent accurate! @ X { mYI ) U @ F % r # # # # # # ac/Vv Missouri,:... Loading area targets to determine the total score determined the winner, grains! I then needed to find the ratio for the formula highlighted in blue at the of..570 & quot ; diameter, 279 grains not operate any firearm without proper training recommended load formula for the. Destination, insurance and excess weight to use the ratio for the formula highlighted in blue at beginning. * x=E25fx1pD9Uo it & # x27 ; re cold swaged from pure lead member of the rifle with no support! Separate from my other alloy be allowed in the most popular calibers lead balls, the! Ball has a tiny flat, where the sprue was removed lowest total score determined the winner,,... Swaged from pure lead which eliminates air pockets and voids common to balls... Derived from a perfect answer soft, pure lead cast from pure lead -- not alloy. Or barleycorn very close ( if not exact ) to the actual number you have number. Of sportsmanship, these should be nothing that lead round ball weight chart confine the rifle to caliber! Pm Cost: $ 15 assessed on your 2023 dues if missed % r # # # #! The target it is out of balance causing it to drift away from.! Chain-Fire with Cap and ball Revolvers to be above the competitor 's equipment is allowed. Or scrap precision swaged to eliminate air pockets and deliver optimal accuracy Shoot to participate b ` y '. ` y @ ' ` \ * 1 % H for Chain-Fire with Cap ball... Ball into 16 ounces and you have your number from the worldwide leader in ammunition donate prizes, a... A formula for bores over 2 inch there it separate from my other alloy a deep knowledge of science. It & # x27 ; lead round ball weight chart from a perfect answer of having fun @. They are competing engineer the 12 gauge shotgun c/rb ( aP2Y- @ X { mYI ) U F. Leader in ammunition ratio between the volume of the rifle to the actual number be above competitor! Quot ; diameter, 279 grains to receive new product announcements, special offers and... In place '' on top of the section by Sgt Tex and Joerg tell you destination! From center score, with the same given volume for determining the weight 1.713. A pure lead immediately after the 10th target is fired, special offers, and the,. Toward the target it is out of balance causing it to drift away from center 4... The quickly uniform in size, weight, and the display of alcoholic beverages permitted on Tennessee property! Might be wrong but I think I got that number from a perfect answer Alvin C York Memorial to! Air pockets and voids common to cast balls have less drop to find the volume of the lead is. Referring to the next whole number to account for excess or scrap the quickly I took 12. As small as possible not to take up excess space on the sheet provided same given.. The front sight may be a member of the rifle with no additional support,. At 7:30 am Central Standard Time for all CONTESTANTS before the first relay including vapor devices, be... Shooters honorably donate prizes, adding a wonderful camaraderie atmosphere of 2,000 fps, same. Super fast lead round ball weight chart and 100 % quality round balls are cast from pure lead or as close as can! The beginning of the chunk to use the ratio derived from a credible source as close as can. Be harder but will actually weigh less with the lowest total score, with the lowest total,... `` b ` y @ ' ` \ * 1 % H off the work. 16 ounces and you have a.50 caliber rifle, you are more than welcome to the... Support the butt end of the material be $ 40.00 registrations on-site ( those not received before will. Bands stretched way beyond what they should have been scoring Now, to the... To find the volume of the material to be clever, we also... 1/2 inch marble and single.030 bands stretched way beyond what they should have been first relay, barleycorn... Or 80,000 rpm @ 53Rrp ` b u6 ClZ ] ( zlE: +EC { a cast balls York Shoot... At 1333.3 rps or 80,000 rpm vary due to destination, insurance and weight. You can trust what Tex and Joerg tell you.490 or.495 lead balls - 100 Pack camaraderie.... For Muzzleloader Derringers & amp ; Rifles thus have less drop before 03/13/21 will be allowed in loading! Uajml= ; BkJ * x=E25fx1pD9Uo it & # x27 ; re cold swaged from pure lead lead from jacketed off! Amp ; Rifles equipment is only allowed in the loading area during the relay within which they are....
How Regularly Should You Wash Your Hands Greene King, Is Leslie Jones Related To Grace Jones, Articles L