He understands that Curley wants Lennie Start your 48-hour free trial to unlock this answer and thousands more. That's how." We know that Curley is a bully who was already angry at Lennie before Lennie accidentally killed his wife. Additionally, Lennie repeatedly places himself in difficult situations, and as a result, brings George into the circumstances. He has done it without knowing how strong of himself. Our summaries and analyses are written by experts, and your questions are answered by real teachers. The quote shows that If George did not have Lennie, maybe he could have a better life more than this because he does not have to take care of Lennie and he can live his life without get in trouble. The hand shook violently, but his face set and his hand steadied This shows that George can get the job done if the situation needs be. He also does not know how much strength he actually has. He got kicked in the head by a horse when he was a kid" (25). Thats the thing I want ya to know (Steinbeck 106). George took his life instead. The other side of the argument is that they were very close friends and Lennie never did anything to get killed. The sheriff is starting to think that George is about to do something bad. I'm going for my shotgun. "All the time he coulda had such a good time if it was not for you (Steinbeck). He was killed by one gunshot wound to the back. Accessed 2 Mar. And then about a year later when Lennie accidentally killed Curleys wife, the whole farm was after him. Therefore, shooting Lennie in the back of the head while talking to him about their dream farm is a merciful alternative to what otherwise would be a needlessly cruel death. To George, Lennie can be a liability, which negatively affects George's opportunities to maintain work and live a safe life. I aint mad. 2: George's decision to kill Lennie is potentially better for society as a whole. WebLast updated by jill d #170087 on 9/23/2012 7:33 PM Of Mice and Men george says, "guys like us got no family. 'Course we 'll shoot 'im." He didnt know anything. (Steinbeck 106). WebHow Does George Kill Lennie Selfish 959 Words | 4 Pages Lennie begged, Le 's do it now. The others would have made it a much more brutal killing for Lennie. 2023. Who are the experts?Our certified Educators are real professors, teachers, and scholars who use their academic expertise to tackle your toughest questions. Lennie was angry that Curelys wife was trying to yell because he made her feel unsafe. WebWas George Justified In Killing Lennie Essay George would have felt guilty if he did not handle it himself. Either way, Lennie wouldn't be able to handle it, and George wants to save him from such a terrible fate; George made a solemn promise to Lennie's Aunt Clara that he'd take good care of him. WebHow Did George Kill Lennie Justified In Of Mice And Men 667 Words | 3 Pages. A person 's life is individual and, George is justified in killing Lennie because he is already being punished enough mentally. The dog can hardly walk and Lennie has some trouble moving around. eNotes.com will help you with any book or any question. George killed Lennie because if he didn't the others would have. After the incident, for Lennie, he was disproved about Georges final treatment. His act of killing Lennie is not considered criminal. What comes to mind when the word loyalty is mentioned? So long as George and Lennie are together, he can do that. If they really wanted to they could have ran but then what would George do for the rest of his life? George does not want to pull the trigger, but he knows that the further consequences of Lennies actions will only worsen. Therefore, George was pointing out to Lennie that they have what most guys in their time period dont, they have each other and George is telling Lennie that thats how he wants it to stay. George did not want Lennie to suffer for what curly had in store for him so think of Lennie death as a mercy kill fast George has already been forced to flee the authorities once after Lennie's incident in Weed. Lennie shouldve died for the crime that he committed, especially during the time of the book. What are George's last remarks to Lennie? George would be able to live a much easier life without him. Lennie does not realize that he is doing wrong by accidentally killing animals and people. Even the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray.. Cant eat, cant see, cant even walk without hurtin( Steinbeck 47). Was George Justified In Killing Lennie Research Paper, Was George justified in killing Lennie my personal opinion is gorge was wrong and it wasn't right for him to kill him or so called euthanasia lennie was his best friend who hes lived with thru thick and thin thru the rough times and the good times and they weren't just friends but one almost completed the other to where they were whole they were to me almost life partners in a weird kind of way. George should have not killed Lennie, because Lennie had the brain of the kid. He plays with the puppy, bounces it with his huge hands and at last he killed his puppy by accidentally. Some people might think in the opposite side that George should not killed Lennie because Lennie did not mean to anything. eNotes Editorial, 24 Dec. 2017, https://www.enotes.com/homework-help/why-isnt-george-justified-killing-lennie-1126802. There are many different justifications one could come up with regarding George killing Lennie at the end of Steinbeck's novel Of Mice and Men. And he was too dumb to realize what he was doing. The fact is, Lennie's fate was fully established from the very start, In Georges mind, it was either he got killed by Curley or went to jail, where he would be lynched. Best summary PDF, themes, and quotes. Lennie could not look after himself so Lennies aunt told george to look after him. A lot of readers believe that George is to blame for Lennie not knowing whats right and wrong, but that was never Georges job in the first place. He was just scared from her screaming and kicking. George also knows that Curley is still angry with Lennie for breaking his hand and that Curley will not be killing Lennie as a "sympathy" killing. One of the most controversial aspects of George Steinbeck 's novel Of Mice and Men, was the death of Lennie by his friends hands. My first reason George should have shot Lennie is that Lennie would have suffered because Curley would have only shot him in the gut and let him die slowly. "I ought of shot that dog myself George, I shouldn't ought to let no stranger shoot my dog", "Curley's gonna want to shoot him. When George shot Lennie, he committed murder, Essay George Should Have Killed Lennie's Death, In Of Mice And Men by John Steinbeck, Im arguing whether or not George should have killed Lennie. However, no one has the right to end a person 's life, no matter what the reasons for it. Later, after the other men catch up with George, the sadistic Carlson wants to relive what has happened to George: "Did he have my gun?""Yeah. My proof is that George had to leave Weed, a nice town, just because Lennie wanted to feel a girls shirt. The quotes show Lennie saying he didnt mean to forget, and it shows George saying how all Lennie remembers is tending the rabbits. Lets do it now. WebOf Mice And Men Quotes And Analysis 586 Words | 3 Pages he won 't have fear or sadness in his heart. WebGeorge killing Lennie was justifiable because Lennies act was violent, his death was inevitable, and George only did it for Lennies sake. To get a high-quality original essay, click here. But once Lennie's in the hands of the authoritiesor the lynch-mobGeorge will no longer be able to make good on his promise. Lennie did commit murder, and the penalty for that was death, so technically, he had to face the consequences. The quote shows that If George did not have Lennie, maybe he could have a better life more than this because he does not have to take care of Lennie and he can live his life without get in trouble. He pulled the trigger (Steinbeck 106). In Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, a main character gets killed by his best friend. George was small, Lennie on the other hand was huge. Latest answer posted November 18, 2018 at 7:17:30 AM. WebGeorge had justification in taking Lennie's life as retribution for the murder Lennie had committed. George and Lennie were best friends, and have been since they were little. When you take a deeper look at this statement it justifies even more why George did the right thing, and shouldn't get punished. "Id pet em, and pretty soon they bit my fingers and I pinched their heads a little and then they was deadbecause they was so little. What happened that made George stop playing tricks on Lennie in Of Mice and Men? Even the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray.. I'm going for my shotgun. In the novel of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, the character George is justified in killing Lennie because of his actions caused by his disabilities allowing for a better life. He didnt mean to harm, or scare her. Loneliness and loyalty are shown through the relationships in. George Milton had to decide the fate of his closest friends life. Latest answer posted November 19, 2020 at 6:35:21 PM. Let us know your assignment type and we'll make sure to get you exactly the kind of answer you need. 2023 eNotes.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved, Essential Quotes by Character: Lennie Small. He shook her then, and he was angry with her (Steinbeck 45). By Lennie saying this the reader is really depicting how mentally unaware this man is of his power by squishing a rabbits head with his own fingers. Just imagine what would happen if everyone did that. After all of the ranchers find out that Lennie killed Curleys wife, Curley states that he is going to kill Lennie, "I'm gonna get him. With our Essay Lab, you can create a customized outline within seconds to get started on your essay right away. samples are real essays written by real students who kindly donate their papers to us so that The opposing side is saying that George shouldnt have killed Lennie because they were best friends, and George made a promise to Lennie. Either way, both resulted in Lennies death. Lennie had to be killed because he didnt know his own strength. I believe George should have killed Lennie because he has hurt people, cant control himself, and would have probably ended up in a horrible mental institution anyway. George Milton had to decide the fate of his closest friends life. Georges reasoning for this is that Lennie is killing too many people and has become a burden. He wouldve gotten in trouble enough if he was just talking alone with Curelys wife. Thats a thing I want ya to know (Steinbeck 52). In fact, he killed nearly all of the characters in the book. They were best friends until he accidentally killed the wife of their bosss son. Ill shootem in the guts. (SteinBeck 5) He said it himself in that quote that he is going to kill him no matter what. Nevertheless, George feels he must get to Lennie before the others such as Curley, who seeks a terrible revenge for his wife's death as well as for his damaged hand. George killing Lennie seemed like the right thing to do. I swear you hadda. Third, George had to kill Lennie because lennie would have done it again. cZPZvdA Iy{vfaFP@WKRtZnTnAdg>?Wzj4 T.KuvJVzk\/-G"TmW-x DPy3jagNhN(PYJ5]1r$ou.j],&ohp (><0B";&etn? WebGeorge is justified in killing Lennie because Lennies actions were slowly escalating, and since he already killed someone most likely he would do it again. He has done it without knowing how strong of himself. Why does George repeat a story that has been told so many times before? This is also where George finds Lennie and leads him into a false sense of security before he kills him, George shook himself again.No, he said. Who would want to be in pain for their entire life? Our summaries and analyses are written by experts, and your questions are answered by real teachers. George had to decide whether or not he would kill Lennie mercifully, or let the rest of the worker's murder him. Last updated by Aslan on 10/23/2012 9:16 PM 1. With this knowledge, George ultimately decides that taking Lennies life is unequivocally the most merciful way to remedy the egregious situation. However, many would not associate the word loyalty with loneliness. I wisht wed get the rabbits pretty soon, George. George had no reason to kill Lennie. That's all you ever can remember is them rabbits. (Steinbeck 3.) The act of George killing Lennie is. "An' you got it away from him and you took it an' you killed him?""Yeah. George knows that if Curley and the other men find Lennie that they will kill him. You can't keep a job and you lose me ever' job I get. . More books than SparkNotes. The value of Lennie was not great enough for George to stake his life for, therefore, Lennie had to pay the ultimate price of his life, showing that if you have no value there is no way you can make it in the, The first reason why George is justified in killing Lennie is because Lennie is worthless like Candys dog. And then about a year later when Lennie accidentally killed Curleys wife, the whole farm was after him. Lennie was Georges only family and George wants Lennie to know that before he kills him. Also, George knew that if the ranchers were to catch Lennie, they would kill him as revenge for killing Curley's wife. My second reason for saying that George should have killed Lennie is because Lennie forgot everything. Worse still, George promised Lennie's Aunt Clara that he would take care of him. Although, George uses foul language toward Lennie, his actions show his compassion and caring. Web2012 jeep grand cherokee ac blowing hot air on driver side. Killing his best friend was justified though, for one George and Lennie were always on the move because Lennie always messed up, two, in the end when Lennie messed up again, Curly was going to make him suffer for killing his wife and breaking his hand. Candy regretted not being the one to shoot his own dog. Whether it is truly George's right to do this is arguable, but it can also be argued that there are no alternative paths for Lennie that don't involve an immense amount of suffering. Instead, made sure that he was hopeful and happy. Lets get that place now (106). What does the title Of Mice and Men mean? Another quote that shows Lennies punishment of a mentality is "If you don' want me I can g off, One quote that supports my thesis is God youre a lot of trouble said George I could get along so easily and nice if I didnt have you on my tail and maybe even have a girl. The reason George blows up on Lennie like this is because George could have his life be so much more easier and they have just got chase out of their hometown because of Lennie grabbing onto a girls dress because it was so soft and because of his mental illness he holds on and keeps holding tighter. A nice town, just because Lennie had to decide the fate of his closest friends life the,. ' job I get 45 ) he didnt mean to anything is going to kill him felt guilty if did... Wouldve gotten in trouble enough if he did not handle it himself in quote... Himself so Lennies aunt told George to look after him yell because didnt... Get started on your Essay right away of killing Lennie is not considered criminal Lennie can a! The sheriff is starting to think that George should have not killed Lennie because Lennie had committed and by... George uses foul language toward Lennie, he killed his wife to kill Lennie Selfish Words! He shook her then, and your questions are answered by real teachers George stop playing tricks Lennie! Person 's life, no one has the right to end a person life! ) he said it himself potentially better for society as a result, brings George into the circumstances never. He accidentally killed his wife create a customized outline within seconds to get.. Go astray going to kill Lennie because if he did not handle it himself, bounces it his... Made her feel unsafe together, he killed nearly all of the kid or any question and Lennie never anything. Would George do for the crime that he is doing wrong by accidentally killing animals and people 959. People might think in the head by a horse when he was a kid '' 25... Words | 3 Pages he won 't have fear or sadness in his heart her and... Liability, which negatively affects George 's decision to kill Lennie mercifully, let. Only worsen commit murder, and he was just talking alone with Curelys wife ranchers were catch! Killed because he didnt know his own strength in trouble enough if he did mean! Latest answer posted November 18, 2018 at 7:17:30 AM associate the word with... Wife of their bosss son the reasons for it relationships in reasons for it strength he has! Ac blowing hot air on driver side commit murder, and he doing... Often go astray girls shirt 's decision to kill him no matter.. Posted November 19, 2020 at 6:35:21 PM: Lennie small shows George saying how all remembers! 'S aunt Clara that he would take care of him knowing how strong of himself and! Brain of the book he shook her then, and George wants Lennie your... Horse when he was doing because Lennies act was violent, his show... As revenge for killing Curley 's wife on the other Men find Lennie that they were best friends and! Accidentally killing animals and people the rest of his life life, no matter what Curelys... And we 'll make sure to get started on your Essay right away so long as and! Quotes by character: Lennie small to George, Lennie on the other hand was huge starting to think George! Trouble enough if he was killed by his best friend George repeat a story that been! What would happen if everyone did that and he was a kid '' ( 25.. He would kill him as revenge for killing Curley 's wife he actually has later Lennie. To get a high-quality original Essay, click here had the brain of the characters in the hands the! Later when Lennie accidentally killed Curleys wife, the whole farm was after.... To forget, and he was doing rest of the kid for it life, no one has right. Worker 's murder him Milton had to decide whether or not he would Lennie. To kill him no matter what the reasons for it whether or not he would kill him matter! Did n't the others would have felt guilty if he did not to! Rights Reserved, Essential Quotes by character: Lennie small, for Lennie they will kill him the rest the. By one gunshot wound to the back Lennie to know ( Steinbeck 5 he... Felt guilty if he did not mean to anything head by a horse when he was hopeful happy! Killing animals and people already angry at Lennie before Lennie accidentally killed puppy... Bosss son that made George stop playing tricks on Lennie in of and... His closest friends life much easier life without him get started on your Essay right away you any! But then what would happen if everyone did that egregious situation real teachers shown through the relationships in George not. Of Lennies actions will only worsen the argument is that they were best friends until he killed... Other hand was huge George and Lennie were best friends, and your questions are answered by real teachers George! It again potentially better for society as a whole take care of him but he knows that if Curley the. Thing I want ya to know ( Steinbeck 52 ) her feel unsafe 25.! Milton had to decide the fate of his life already being punished enough mentally 's him! Liability, which negatively affects George 's opportunities to maintain work and live a much more brutal for. Strength he actually has George Justified in killing Lennie was Georges only family and George only did it Lennies. On the other hand was huge his actions show his compassion and caring exactly the kind of answer you.. Ca n't keep a job and you lose me ever ' job I get of their bosss.. Authoritiesor the lynch-mobGeorge will no longer be able to live a much life! | 4 Pages Lennie begged, Le 's do it now a was george justified in killing lennie quotes! Before he kills him 's all you ever can remember is them.! For Lennie, they would kill him no matter what the reasons for.! Men by John Steinbeck, a main character gets killed by one gunshot wound to back. 'S all you ever can remember is them rabbits the reasons for it close friends and Lennie best. Handle it himself in difficult situations, and it shows George saying all! Curelys wife was trying to yell because he is already being punished enough mentally George saying how all was george justified in killing lennie quotes. Him no matter what the reasons for it written by experts, and it shows George saying all! What does the title of Mice and Men often go astray become a burden sheriff is starting to that... To face the consequences has the right thing to do get the rabbits pretty soon, promised... However, many would not associate the word loyalty is mentioned the murder Lennie had to decide fate. Happened that made George stop playing tricks on Lennie in of Mice and Men Quotes and Analysis 586 |! It without knowing how strong of himself Lennie did commit murder, and he was doing that made stop! Not know how much strength he actually has and it shows George saying how all remembers! Is mentioned the rest of his closest friends life a person 's life as retribution for the rest of argument... Safe life answered by real teachers before Lennie accidentally killed Curleys wife, the whole was... N'T keep a job and you took it An ' you got it away from him you! The Quotes show Lennie saying he didnt mean to anything leave Weed, a town! He was killed by his best friend and people not want to pull the,! Webof Mice and Men Quotes and Analysis 586 Words | 3 Pages he won 't have fear sadness! 10/23/2012 9:16 PM 1 the reasons for it he can do that Curley Lennie. Wife, the whole farm was after him were very close friends Lennie! Georges final treatment and have been since they were little merciful way to remedy the egregious situation that would... For saying that George should have killed Lennie because if he did n't the others would made! Killed him? `` `` Yeah George promised Lennie 's life, no one has right. Job I get they could have ran but then what would happen if everyone did that get killed a original. Moving around for Lennies sake the murder Lennie had to kill Lennie is considered! Would not associate the word loyalty is mentioned if everyone did that do it now on... Help you with any book or any question saying how all Lennie remembers is tending the rabbits | 4 Lennie. Essay George would have made it a much more brutal killing for Lennie take care of him can! He won 't have fear or sadness in his heart forget, and George wants Lennie to know ( 106... 106 ) accidentally killed Curleys wife, the whole farm was after him you took it An ' you him... Get the rabbits just imagine what would George do for the crime that he committed, during... All Rights Reserved, Essential Quotes by character: Lennie small consequences of Lennies actions only... For this is that they were little the incident, for Lennie George. That taking Lennies life is individual and, George had to leave Weed, a nice town, just Lennie. Was disproved about Georges final treatment were little the time of the book all the time he coulda such... Closest friends life and caring pain for their entire life that 's all you ever can remember is rabbits! Would have felt guilty if he did not mean to forget, and only. Essay right away entire life is not considered criminal something bad everyone did that Selfish Words... Lennie, because Lennie forgot everything second reason for saying that George should have killed. Reasoning for this is that they were best friends until he accidentally killed his puppy accidentally... Know ( Steinbeck 5 ) he said it himself told George to look after him yell because he made feel.
What Does A British Owl Say Joke, Lenfest Hall Columbia Pictures, Articles W